Monday, September 28, 2020

 I Samuel 23-24  Saul chases David into cities, around mountains, and into the desert.. "but God did not hand him over to him."  When Saul goes to  Ein-Gedi with 3000 men to chase David and his 600 men.. David is given the opportunity to take Saul's life, but he simply cuts off a piece of his cloak. 

David shows respect for Saul because of the Lord's anointing on him.  He trusts the Lord to deal with Saul, even as Saul would kill David for no reason.  David leaves Saul completely in the Lord's hands.  And Saul knows it.  Unfortunately, it will make no real difference in Saul's life. 

 David vows to Saul that he will not lay a hand on him... ever, but he is forthright in telling Saul how he  prays... "May Adonai judge between you and me and may Adonai avenge me on you!" 

Read Psalm 35 in light of this conflict between Saul and David. 

V1 " Contend, O LORD, with those who contend with me; fight against those who fight against me."

V4 "Let those be ashamed and dishonored who seek my life; let those be turned back and humiliated who devise evil against me." 

V8 "Let destruction come upon him unawares; and let the net which he hid catch himself." 

V19 "Do not let those who are wrongfully my enemies rejoice over me; neither let those who hate me without cause wink maliciously." 

David puts Saul completely into the Lord's hands and not his own.  He also puts himself in God's hands- 

v22-24 "Thou hast seen it, O Lord, do not keep silent; O Lord, do not be far from me, Stir up Thyself, and awake to my right, and to my cause, my God and my Lord. Judge me, O Lord my God according to Thy righteousness..." 

When the world criticizes, condemns, and persecutes the followers of Jesus, may we obey the Word -to turn our cheeks, to bless those who curse us, and to return good for evil.  And may we also become warriors in our prayers - pushing back the darkness by committing ourselves and our "enemies" into the hands of our God. 

Father, You know every heart and every intention of every single human on this planet!  You know those who are seeking to cause harm and destruction and we pray that You will contend with them. We pray that You will bring rejoicing to Your people.. that we might shout with David, "The Lord is magnified, who delights in the prosperity of His servant. And my tongue shall declare Thy righteousness and Thy praise all day long." ( Psalm 35:27-28) Heal our land and bring peace to Your people.  We ask this in the name of our Savior and Lord, Jesus Christ. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment