Friday, September 25, 2020

 I Samuel 22  David takes refuge in a cave at Adullam.  News traveled to  his family who came to be with him, along with 400 people.. poor, distressed, and  discontent people.. who came to make him their leader. 

David and his followers moved from place to place as Saul and his armies began to pursue him. The first thing David did was to take his parents to the king of Moab for their safe keeping. 

Meanwhile, Saul accuses his men of turning against him by not telling him about Jonathan's association with David or bringing David to him.  Doeg the Edomite tells Saul about seeing David with the priest at Nob. So, Saul calls for  Ahimelech to come and accuses him of wrong doing.  Saul is so angry that he won't listen to reason and orders all the priests to be killed.  When his men won't do it.. Doeg the Edomite does.. killing 85 priests. ( plus the whole town of Nob )  Only one priest survived and he ran to David. 

How far Saul had fallen away from the Lord. He was becoming a mad man chasing David. He was so hard -hearted that he had the priests of the Lord slaughtered.  Innocent families were killed. Lives lost to jealousy and fear. 

Psalm 142 is introduced as a prayer from the cave:

"I cry aloud with my voice to the Lord;I make supplication with my voice to the Lord, 

I pour out my complaint before Him; I declare my trouble before Him. 

When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, Thou didst know my path. 

In the way where I walk,They have hidden a trap for me. 

Look to the right and see; for there is no one who regards me.

No one cares for my soul.

I cried out to Thee, O Lord;

I said, 'Thou art my refuge, my portion in the land of the living.

Give heed to my cry, for I am brought very low;

Deliver me from my persecutors, for they are too strong for me. 

Bring my soul out of prison, so that I may give thanks to Your name.;

The righteous will surround me, 

For Thou wilt deal bountifully with me.'"

A prayer offered in a desperate time that ends in hope... 

Father in heaven, we are thankful that you know all things. There is nothing and no one that can hide from You.  You know what is happening to many believers.. how they are in desperate straits even as David was.  Father may they be reminded that You hear their prayers and be restored in their hope that You will deal bountifully with each of them.. and with us also.  You care for our souls.  You heed our cries.  When we are overwhelmed, You know our paths.  Thank You for being our Good Shepherd, Jesus. Lead us in Your paths of righteousness. Deliver us from evil. We ask this in Your Name, the Name that is above all names!  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment