Friday, August 30, 2013

Psalm 119:137-144  Almighty God, You are righteous.  Your Words are righteous.  They are right, just, and true.   You have given us Your Word that we might have life.  Your Word does not change with the seasons, nor with the centuries.  You have given us the Truth out of Your faithfulness and righteousness.  As the psalmist prayed, I do also, "give me understanding that I may live."  May I delight in and love Your pure Word, may I "not forget Thy precepts".   I lift my eyes to You Lord, the maker of heaven and earth, for it is from You that my help comes. Be my keeper, be my shade, be my fortress today. Through the grace of The Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

II Peter 1 :5-15 "Now for this very reason..."  Because of the faith we have received by God's righteousness, because of the multiplied grace and peace He has granted us in knowing Him, because of the precious and magnificent promises, and His divine power, because of all God has done through The Lord Jesus, we have an "entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ".
The life of one who lives according to this Word will be marked by certain qualities, Peter tells us.  Qualities that "render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ".  Qualities that are lacking in those who are "blind or shortsighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins."  Peter is diligent to remind us of these essential qualities:
1. The quality of "diligence" in "your faith".  Personal attention and care. Carefully, with effort.  Active faith.
2. Moral excellence-  virtue and honor,
3. knowledge -  what we are conscious of,  what our conscience is guided by;
4. self-control - self restraint
5. perseverance - cheerful, hopeful patience
6. godliness - holiness, piety
7. brotherly kindness - affection for other believers
8. love - agape love - benevolent, giving, sacrificial love.
We are to grow and increase in these qualities (v8).  We are to practice these qualities ( v10).  We are to remember and pay close attention to these qualities that are "abundantly supplied" to us by Jesus, Himself.
Peter tells us to "be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you; for as long as you practice these things you will never stumble."  We examine our own lives , not others. We should be growing in these areas. Established in these truths.
My faith looks up to Thee,  Thou Lamb of Calvary, Saviour divine,
Now hear me while I pray,
Take all my guilt away;
Oh, let me from this day
Be wholly Thine.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment