Thursday, August 22, 2013

Psalm 119:105-112  "Thy Word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path."  Every step I take, every way I choose. Your Word leads me Lord.  When I am afflicted.  When I am thankful.  When I am in danger, or when I am just living the life You put before me.  I look to You, Light of the World.
Where You shine, there I want to walk.  I commit myself to keep, remember, and perform what You have taught me.  Teach me today.  Shine Your light even now, that I might walk with You. Amen.

I Peter 4 To live with "purpose".  To live in light of the salvation purchased by Christ on the cross, means to live for God's will and not for man's lusts.  That means putting aside "sensuality, lusts, drunkenness, carousals, drinking parties, and abominable idolatries." v3.  It is living "in the spirit" and not "in the flesh".
Spiritual living means:
Having "sound judgement and sober spirits for the purpose of prayer" v7
Being "fervent in your love for one another".  v8
Being "hospitable to one another without complaint" v9
Using the gift of grace to speak, serve, and glorify God fully.  v10-11
Not being surprised when you are tested, but rejoicing that you can share "the sufferings of Christ" v12-13
When you are reviled or suffer for being a Christian, you know that you are blessed. v14, 16

The Day of Christ's return is coming. Peter urges us to live according to the Spirit, to trust our "souls to a faithful Creator" by doing what is right.  Living "in the flesh" is death.  But the gospel has "for this purpose been preached even to those who are dead, that though they are judged in the flesh as men, they may live in the spirit according to the will of God." v 6.

Father, may I live with Your purposes in my mind and heart today. May I live according to the Spirit and not  the flesh.  May I love and serve and give to You all I have and all I am.  Even to rejoice in suffering, knowing that it glorifies You. Thank You for the Light that You have given. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment