Thursday, August 8, 2013

Psalm 119: 25-32   The psalmist, like all of us, is struggling.  He is down in the "dust". He is weeping with grief.   He has failed in some way.  As we all do.  But, he does not want to stay there in the "false way".  So here he cries out for help from The Lord, the source of hope and life.
"Revive me according to Thy Word", he prays.  Teach me, strengthen me, remove me from the wrong path, grant me the right way.  He turns his eyes to The Lord, once again,  "I've told you of my ways, ";  " I will meditate on Thy wonders, " ; and "I have chosen the faithful way".   Confession, repentance, re-dedication.  " I cleave to Thy testimonies."  " I will run the way of Thy commandments."
Once again a deliberate decision to follow God through reading, remembering, and meditating on the Word of God.  And once again a statement of faith: " For Thou wilt enlarge my heart."   It is in His work, by the Holy Spirit,  in our hearts that we can even begin to turn from "false ways"  to "faithful ways" .   The word "enlarge" is the Hebrew word rachab - to broaden, make large, or make room, to open wide.  It is The Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth, the Maker of our hearts, Who reaches down and makes room in our hearts for Himself and His Word.  He will revive us and teach us,  He will strengthen us and help us.  But, we must have the perspective of the psalmist... humbly admitting that we are in the dust, grieving over our sins and failures, and deliberately choosing to follow Him, running to His Word, cleaving to His Voice, and meditating on His Wonders.
Oh Faithful Father, enlarge my heart today.  Help me to walk the faithful way, for I choose You.  Thank You for Your goodness and mercy that surely follow me every day of my life.  You are my Shepherd and I shall not want. Amen.

James 2
 There seems to be 2 themes in this chapter of James.  Verses 1-13 have to do with making judgements based on personal favoritism, while verses 14-26 have to do with living faith and dead faith.
The first section makes us grimace a bit.  Don't we all have a tendency sometimes to accept the beautiful, well-dressed, cleaned up person and dismiss the dirty, poor, and needy one?  Sadly, in our society, and often in our churches, we do just that.  James calls us to open our eyes to the Truth.  That it is the poor whom God has chosen to give His Kingdom to:  "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven," ( Matthew 5:3)  And it is the "rich" who oppress and persecute and blaspheme the Name of Jesus. Christians are commanded to love ALL people. Without partiality.  To speak and act in accord to His Mercy.
The second theme is also challenging, for we are told that we must be saved by faith alone.  Yet, James is calling us to works.  However, it is emphasized here that our faith is proven by our works.  In other words, good works are evidence of a real faith.  If we just say we have faith, but never act in ways that show evidence of that faith, then what good is it?  As James tells us "the demons also believe and shudder".  (v19).  They "believe" in God, but they do not have saving faith.  They do not have living faith that is evidenced by their good works.   When we have this living faith we will act in the ways of love and mercy.
Here is where the 2 themes of the chapter are connected. Practical faith, living faith.  Impartial, loving, merciful, truthful, and working the good works that God has prepared for us to do.
Oh Lord fill us with Your love, in Your Truth, that we might have faith and do the works that You desire for each of Your children today. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment