Thursday, August 8, 2019

Matthew 18    When the disciples ask Jesus "Who then is greatest in the kingdom of heaven?"
Jesus, the King, tells His disciples what true greatness really is...

True greatness is having the humility of a child.
True greatness is receiving a child as if he were Christ, Himself.
True greatness is sacrificing everything that is a stumbling block for others or for yourself.
True greatness is understanding that God's will is to save the lost and keep any from perishing.
True greatness is having mercy.. lovingly confronting the sinner, praying for the lost, and forgiving those who are unable to pay back what they owe you.

Heaven sets the standard for forgiveness. Jesus tells the parable of the king who forgave a great debt for his slave. But, when that slave refuses to forgive a small debt from his fellow slave, the king becomes angry and throws the man in prison.  God has forgiven us our great debts - everything that we owe and can never repay.  Yet, we cannot even forgive a petty debt from our brother or sister.

We bind or loosen on earth.. God has given us that ability. We condemn or forgive.  We offer judgement or mercy.  The thing that we must not forget is that what we do here on earth will be done to us in heaven.  "Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy." Ephesians 4:32 "And be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you."  And James 2:13 "For judgement will be merciless to one who has shown no mercy; mercy triumphs over judgement." 

Merciful Father, God and King, I come to honor Your name and to worship You today, with praise and thanksgiving. You have given me life through Christ Jesus. You have given me fountains of Living Water by Your Spirit who fills me.  Thank You!  Praise the Lord, O my soul and all that is within me!  Teach me, lead me, fill me and transform me as I surrender myself to You.  I am Your child and I want to be a faithful servant. Your will be done, Lord. To the glory and honor and praise of Your great Name. In the name of  Jesus Christ I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment