Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Luke 18  Jesus taught His followers that they should "... at all times..pray and not.. lose heart." 

The example is a widow who is desperate for "legal protection".  She never stops coming to the one person who can help her, and even though he is not a godly man, he helps her.   Jesus teaches that if an ungodly person can do something good... what will God.. who is Good.. do for the one who prays?
Then He asks this question... "However, when the Son of Man comes, will He find faith on the earth?"


Do we have the faith to bring every need, great or small, to our God?  If Christ returned today, would He catch us praying?

Jesus also tells another parable about prayer.  There are two men who go into the temple to pray.  One, a Pharisee, considered himself righteous and prayed, "God, I thank Thee that I am not like other people; swindlers, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax-gatherer.  I fast twice a week; I pay tithes of all that I get."  

The second man, couldn't even lift up his eyes.. prayed, "God, be merciful to me, the sinner!" 

It is the second man who receives mercy.. the answer to his prayer.  The first man received nothing. He never even asked for anything, firmly trusting his own self-righteousness.

What does this teach us about prayer?
 Pray at all times.
Pray about all things.
Ask for what is needed, humbly surrendering to the One who alone can help us.

Come like a child to his father, Jesus tells us. Totally depend on the God who made us, saved us, and cares for us... He alone is our Help.

Father,  I bring my needs before You.  Thank You for reminding me once again that I am Yours and that You are mine. You know me better than I know myself.  Touch my heart with Your healing hand that I might be fully Yours in every way.. Be glorified in my life today.  I thank You and give You all my praise and worship.  You are the Mighty God, the Maker of Heaven and earth and all things are in Your Hands... including me and my family.  May Your will be done.  May we be found to have living faith on that day when we meet You face to face.  In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment