Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Psalm 17  David does make the Lord his refuge and hiding place.  He prays to the only One who hears and can help...

" Hear a just cause, O Lord, give heed to my cry; give ear to my prayer which is not from deceitful lips."   David knows that he must search his own heart before he prays, to be assured that his requests are right and honest before the Holy One.

"Let my judgement come forth from Thy presence..."  David trusts the Lord's judgement more than his own for God :
looks with equity(v2)
tries the heart(v3)
visits us personally(v3)
tests our integrity(v3)
sees our intents and purposes(v3)
knows our paths(v4-5)

and hears our cries...(v6)

David directs his prayers to the One who answers -
The One who hears our speech
The One who shows lovingkindness
The One who is Savior to those who hide in Him
The One who is so close that our reflection is seen in His eyes
The One who gathers us under His wings.

The One who confronts the wicked and delivers His own.
The wicked live for this world only - this is his "portion" - they may receive wealth, they may have great families, they may leave "their abundance to their babies"...  but they do not have hope like those who trust in the Lord.

"As for me, I shall behold Thy face in righteousness; I will be satisfied with Thy likeness when I awake." 

Contrast the portion of the wicked - worldly treasures, children, even wealth ( v14)  with the portion that David claimed in Psalm 16:5 " The Lord is the portion of my inheritance and my cup..." 
Which is better?  "Better is one day in Your courts than a thousand elsewhere." as the song goes... Psalm 84:10 is the source , " For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside.  I would rather stand at the threshold of the house of my God, than dwell in the tents of wickedness." 

Yes, this is true and we believe it... but do we live it?  Do we view the Lord, our God as our portion or do we put our claims on the treasures of this mortal life?

Father in heaven, Your kingdom come and Your will be done.  Let Your Name be honored and praised in all the earth.  Lead us in Your paths and be our portion.  Renew, renovate, and transform our thinking by the power of Your Word, I pray, in Jesus' Name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment