Tuesday, March 29, 2022

 Psalm 73  Asaph writes that his "feet came close to stumbling;"  He was looking at the world - seeing their prosperity.  He was envious at how they seemed to have no troubles. They were proud and arrogant.. they were violent and blasphemous. They boasted that God didn't know and didn't care how they lived. "Behold, these are the wicked; and always at ease, they have increased wealth.. " 

Asaph wondered if it was worth it to serve the Lord. "Surely in vain I have kept my heart pure, and washed my hands in innocence. For I have been stricken all day long, and chastened every morning. " This is a common question, isn't it?  Why do the wicked prosper and the righteous suffer? Asaph said, "When I pondered to understand this, it was troublesome in my sight.."

"Until I came into the sanctuary of God; Then I perceived their end."  When he stopped looking at the perishable and looked to the imperishable.. stopped fixing his eyes on the seen.. and began to gaze at the "unseen".. Asaph began to understand.

The time would come when the wicked would be "destroyed in a moment."  They would be swept away. They would be judged according to their sins and their end would be worse than anything the righteous could suffer in this life.  These truths pierced Asaph's heart.  He stopped complaining and began praising God.. 

"Nevertheless I am continually with Thee; Thou hast taken hold of my right hand. With Thy counsel Thou wilt guide me, and afterward receive me to glory.  Whom have I in heaven but Thee? And besides Thee, I desire nothing on earth. My flesh and my heart may fail. But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."  

Father, how much better it is to be near You, to know Your goodness and to find that You are our refuge and help.. than to have the things of this world.  Life on this earth is sometimes hard and we do have troubles.. but we know that You see and that You care.. that You have given us something far better than earthly pleasures.  You have given us a "living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away.. reserved in heaven.." for us! Hallelujah!  Help us to keep our eyes fixed on You.. to put aside the things of this world that weigh us down.. so that we might run the race set before us and enter into Your Holy Presence.. blameless before Your throne through the grace given to us in Christ Jesus our King. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment