Monday, March 13, 2023

 Proverbs 4  This whole chapter is a plea.. perhaps a prayer.. from father to son.. a fierce desire for his son to choose life.. to choose to walk according to "sound teaching".. to gain wisdom and understanding.. to value it.. "acquire" it at all cost. 

"I have directed you in the way of wisdom; I have led you in upright paths."  The father has tried to lead his son in the "upright paths".  The paths that he learned from his own father..  "When I was a son to my father.. then he taught me and said to me,  'Let your heart hold fast my words; Keep my commandments.'"

Keep! Acquire!  Do not forsake... prize her.. hear.. accept.. take hold.. give attention.. incline your ear.. "Do not let them ( his words) depart from your sight...  Watch over your heart with all diligence, for from it flow the springs of life...." (v23). "Let your eyes look directly ahead, and let your gaze be fixed straight in front of you. Watch the paths of your feet, and all your ways will be established." ( v 25-26)

This is the teaching that fathers need to give to their sons.. mothers to their daughters.. all of us.. to teach the next generation the truth of God's word that leads to life and light.  "But the path of the righteous is like the light of dawn, that shines brighter and brighter until the full day."  A life that values and pursues wisdom and understanding from the Word of God is a life that we earnestly desire for our loved ones. 

"The way of the wicked is like darkness; They do not know over what they stumble."  This is what the world is like now. Everywhere we look there is violence, sorrow, anger, hatred, and despair.  This is what life without Christ leads to... O how we pray that our loved ones do not walk down those paths!

Father in heaven, my heart cries out to You, that You would lead my children, my grandchildren, and my great-grandchildren to Life through Jesus Christ the Lord. Give them a heart to seek You.. to keep Your commandments.. to know You and serve You. Give them a desire.. a hunger and thirst for Your Word that will lead them to the path of righteousness. Father, open their ears to hear and their hearts to receive Your wisdom today. This is my plea and my prayer.. I ask this in Jesus' name. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment