Thursday, January 12, 2023

 Psalm 119:113-176  The psalmist continues this psalm of praise and love for the Word of God.  His prayer is that he will understand and keep the laws and commandments and  not be ashamed.  The Word has influenced every decision he has made.  It has sustained him through every difficulty he has faced. 

Throughout this psalm, including these last verses, the writer has lifted up many pleas.. pleas that we would do well to use in our own prayer lives... 

v116 "Sustain me according to Thy word, that I may live; and do not let me be ashamed of my hope."

v117 "Uphold me that I may be safe, that I may have regard for Thy statutes continually." 

v122 "Be surety for Thy servant for good; do not let the arrogant oppress me." 

v124-125  "Deal with Thy servant according to Thy lovingkindness, and teach me Thy statutes. I am Thy servant; give me understanding, that I may know Thy testimonies." 

v132 "Turn to me and be gracious to me, after Thy manner with those who love Thy name." 

V133 "Establish my footsteps in Thy word, and do not let any iniquity have dominion over me."

v154 "Plead my cause and redeem me; revive me according to Thy word." 

v169 "Let my cry come before Thee, O Lord; give me understanding according to Thy word." 

v173-174 "Let my tongue sing of Thy word, for all Thy commandments are righteousness. Let Thy hand be ready to help me, for I have chosen Thy precepts. I long for Thy salvation, O Lord, and Thy law is my delight.... " 

The psalmist ends this prayer with one final plea... "I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek Thy servant, for I do not forget Thy commandments." 

This reminds me that even with all my good intentions.. with all my best efforts.. I cannot do anything on my own... It is ALL of Jesus.. His grace, His power, His wisdom, His goodness... It is abiding in Him and He in me.. It is "this salvation"  through the cross of Jesus Christ.. that is my hope... a living hope that leads me.. for He is the way, the Truth and the Life. Hallelujah! What a Savior!

Father, fill us with Your holy Spirit.. and let Your Word transform our thinking. Grant us understanding and lead us in righteousness. Forgive us our sins.. keep us in Your truth.  Thank You for loving us, for giving us these Words of life, and for showing us Your great mercy.  Let Jesus Christ reign in every area of our lives.  And, when we go astray, seek us and help us to come back in repentance and humble submission to Your perfect will. We ask these things in the Name of our Lord, Jesus Christ. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment