Wednesday, April 25, 2018

John 10 / Ezekiel 34  - Reading and meditating on the passage in John 10 reminded me of an old testament passage.. both Jeremiah and Ezekiel write about the failure of Israel's shepherds to take care of their flock.   Both passages refer to a Shepherd, from the line of David, who will come and feed His sheep.  Ezekiel 34 is a powerful passage in light of Jesus' words in John 10.

The prophesy starts with , " Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel. Prophesy and say to those shepherds, 'Thus says the Lord God, "Woe, shepherds of Israel who have been feeding themselves! Should not the shepherds feed the flock? You eat the fat and clothe yourselves with the wool, you slaughter the fat sheep without feeding the flock. Those who are sickly you have not strengthened, the diseased you have not healed, the broken you have not bound up, the scattered you have not brought back, nor have you sought for the lost; but with force and with severity you have dominated them."  ( v2-4)

The sheep were scattered.
They were destroyed.
They were lost.
They became prey.... all because they lacked a Shepherd who would seek them, feed them, or care for them.

So the Lord God declares, " Behold, I Myself will search for My sheep and seek them out.... I will care for My sheep and will deliver them from all the places to which they were scattered...  I will bring them out... I will feed them... I will feed My flock and I will lead them to rest.. " ( v11-15)

He continues, " I will seek the lost, bring back the scattered, bind up the broken, and strengthen the sick; but the fat and the strong I will destroy.  I will feed them with judgement. "(v17)
He will condemn those who trample down good pastures in their greediness.
He will condemn those who push aside the weak and needy.
He will deliver His own..

"Then I will set over them one shepherd, My servant David, and he will feed them; He will feed them himself and be their shepherd." (v23)

 This is the Word of the Lord.. fulfilled in the Lord Jesus. 
The Jews in Jesus' time would know this passage from Ezekiel.  Oh how blind and hard-hearted they were, refusing to believe that God was doing what He said He would do!

Father, thank You for giving us a Good Shepherd, Christ Jesus the Lord!  Thank You for seeking us when we were lost, for binding up our broken limbs, for healing our diseases, for feeding us the Bread of Life.  We praise You, Lord, for You are our God, faithful and kind.  You are King and Lord of all.  Help us to gain spiritual wisdom and understanding through Your Word.  Fill us with the power of Your Spirit that we may walk with endurance and patience, pleasing You in all things, for we love and worship You.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment