Friday, August 5, 2016

Psalm 32

E. M. Bounds says this about prayer: " Prayer is the language of a man burdened with a sense of need. It is the voice of the beggar, conscious of his poverty, asking of another the things he needs. It is not only the language of lack, but of felt lack, of lack consciously realized..,..  Prayer is the language of those who need something-something which they, themselves, cannot supply but which God has promised them, and for which they ask.."     In contrast, he adds, " Not to pray is not only to declare there is nothing needed, but also to admit to a non realization of that need... It represents an attempt at instituting an independence of God, a self-sufficient ruling of God out of the life.  It is a declaration made to God that we do not need Him, and hence do not pray to Him." 

David's recorded psalms/prayers  reveal to us his NEED for God... This psalm is a great example of just that.

Sin, the thing that separates us from our Father in heaven, weighs us down, attacks us physically, spiritually and emotionally - " My vitality was drained away as with the fever heat of summer."  David tells us.  He groaned.  He wasted away.  He sank down in despair.  He had a great need that he could do nothing about on his own.  But when he acknowledged his sin, confessing his need of forgiveness and restoration.. He found help in the Lord.

"How blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, who sin is covered!" ( v1)
God Himself is the One who covered our sins and does not impute iniquity to our account any longer - for He has accepted the payment given on our behalf by Jesus Christ, His Son.

If we feel no guilt for our sinfulness, if we fail to acknowledge our need for deliverance, we will never know the joy of salvation.  We will never know the freedom from that which pulls down into the pits of hell and death.  How great a salvation that our God has provided!  If only we ask!
"... let everyone who is godly pray to Thee in a time when Thou mayest be found;"  

David records this promise to those who will receive it, the Lord says, " I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will counsel you with My eye upon you."and " But, he who trusts in the Lord, lovingkindness shall surround him." 

"Be glad in the Lord and rejoice, you righteous ones, and shout for joy, all you who are upright in heart." 

Father, how thankful I am that Your promises are true for me too!  I do need You to instruct me and teach me in the way I should walk, for I want to be righteous and upright, delivered from all unrighteousness and evil.  Thank You for covering and removing my sin and declaring me to be Your child. How great is Your salvation!  How blessed I am.  I rejoice in You, my God and Father, in Jesus, my Lord and Redeemer, and in the Holy Spirit, my counselor and comforter. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment