Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Luke 11:1-13  The disciples ask the most important request : " Lord, teach us to pray..."   Jesus leads them once again to come to the Father;
to acknowledge His honor and request that His Name be revealed and revered;
to pray that the Kingdom of God come and be established and expanded;
to ask for daily provisions and for forgiveness of sins;
to lead them to forgive others and to avoid temptations;

Jesus teaches them and us that prayer is essential.
He teaches that we must be persistent in prayer.
He teaches us that we should always be asking, seeking, and knocking - to be consistent in prayer.
He teaches us that when we pray, we are heard.
He teaches us that when our Father answers our prayers it will be with the best answer - He gives GOOD gifts to His children.

Luke's version of this prayer is a summary of the instruction that Jesus gave, as recorded in Matthew 6.  In Luke's account the disciples are asking for instruction, yet Jesus has already taught them this model of prayer.  They have walked with Him for several years now, they have been ministering around the country, they have healed the sick and cast out evil spirits.. they have seen miracle after miracle; but they are still lacking in the understanding of how to pray.    Gives us hope, doesn't it?

Even after attending prayer summits and conferences, reading many wonderful books, and joining with others regularly in prayer times... I am still asking the same question - Lord, teach me to pray.

As I sit here at my desk, with the Word before me, I also have notes and lists and verses and reminders - all to direct and remind me how to pray... my wall is covered!  Yet, I still feel very inadequate in my prayer life... how about you?

Father, I do pray that Your Name will be honored and revered on earth as it is in heaven today.  I pray that Your will and purposes will be accomplished and that Your kingdom will be established and expanded.  I ask for our daily bread and for forgiveness.  I choose to forgive any that have trespassed against me, against us. And I pray that You will lead us away from the things of this world, deliver us from the evil one, and transform us according to Your righteous and holy Word.  May we be faithful to pray.  May we be persistent and consistent in praying.  May we pray in faith, believing that You hear and that You will answer according to Your good, acceptable and perfect will.  Give to us Your Holy Spirit we ask.  In the Name of Jesus, our Lord, we pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment