Tuesday, April 30, 2013

I Corinthians 4:20 " For the kingdom of God does not consist in words, but in power."   Absolutely arrested by these words this morning as I read The Imitation of Christ.  The Kingdom of God does not come through the "sayings of men".  It does not come through books, even those that "inflame the heart and enlighten the mind".  It does not come through much knowledge or understanding. It comes by the power of God.  It is God who teaches man knowledge, who gives understanding, who "raises up the humble mind, so that a man shall understand more reasonings of eternal truth, than if he had studied ten years in schools."  He teaches " without confusion of opinions, without the desire of honor, without the bandying of arguments."
" I am He who instructeth men to despise earthly things, to loathe things present, to seek things heavenly, to relish things eternal, to flee honors, to endure offenses, to place all hope in me, out of me to desire nothing, and above all things ardently to love me."
"... I am the teacher of the truth within, I am the searcher of the heart, the discerner of the thoughts, the mover of actions, distributing to every man as I judge meet."

Psalm 136:2-3 "Give thanks to the God of gods.... to The Lord of lords."   We give thanks because God is good and because His lovingkindness is everlasting. But these verses focus on Who it is we give thanks to:  God of gods, Lord of lords.  God - Elohiym, the supreme God, the exceedingly great and mighty One. Lord - Adoni - Sovereign, controller, master, owner, One of power. v26 " Give thanks to the God of heaven" - El, goodly, powerful, strong, Who rules over the heavens. " I will extol Thee, my God, O King, I will bless Thy Name forever and ever!"  Ps. 145:1 This is Who we give our thanks to, for He alone has provided for us, He alone has made us, and He alone has done good to us.  Thank You Father that Your lovingkindness is everlasting!

Jonah 1-2  Jonah was given a Word from God for Ninevah, a truly wicked city.  But Jonah ran from the Lord. But where could he go from His Presence? Not on a ship to Tarshish, not to the depths of the sea, not to the pit of hell.  For God was everywhere that Jonah ran. Even in rebellion, Jonah testified of Who God is - "The Lord God of heaven who made the sea and the dry land." And because of this the men on the ship feared God, made sacrifices to Him, and made vows.  Jonah spent 3 days and 3 nights in the stomach of the fish, but God never left him.  Jonah's prayer is a psalm much like the psalms of David. " I called out of my distress to The Lord, and He answered me."  Even when the distress we are in is because of our own sinful rebellion, God hears us!  What an amazing God we serve.  Thank You Father that " The Lord is near to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him in truth.  He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him; He will also hear their cry and will save them."  Psalm 145:19-20.  

No comments:

Post a Comment