Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Psalm 139:1-6 The Lord God KNOWS me.  You know me, Almighty, Infinite, Omnipresent, Transcendent, Eternal God,  You know me perfectly.  You know where I am, even if I sit to rest or stand to walk.  You know my every thought.  Before I think it. As they pour through my brain and I barely remember how the train of thoughts emerged, you know.  And You understand.  You examine by actions and watch carefully the way I am going.  You know what I am going to say even before I say it. O guard my lips Lord!   You are before me and behind me.  I am never forsaken. You prepare a place before me, O Lord, lead me in paths of righteousness.  You see what I have left behind me.  O Lord, may the sweetness of  Thy grace alone be left behind.  You have laid Your Hand on me.  I agree with David, this thought is too wonderful and far beyond my comprehension.  You lay Your Hand on me.  Matthew Henry's commentary suggests this may be somewhat like a physician who checks the pulse, or feels for a fever.  I think it is more like a tender touch of a mother or father who comforts a child when distraught, disciplines a child when naughty, or encourages a child who is faint-hearted.  Your Hand is on me.   O Lord, may I know this Truth , this wonderful, incomprehensible Truth.  On this glorious splendor of Your majesty and this wonderful work, I will meditate.

II Thessalonians

Paul encourages the church that is enduring persecution.  He thanks God for their enlarged faith and their growing love. He boasts of their perseverance and faith in enduring afflictions.  He reminds them of the reward that lays ahead when Christ will be glorified in them and they will be counted worthy.
Paul's message also contains some sobering truths about the future of the unbeliever.  v6 " For after all it is only just for God to repay with affliction those who afflict you." v 8 " dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus" and v9
" And these will pay the penalty of eternal destruction away from the presence of The Lord and from the glory of His power."
The results of believing and obeying the Word of God - relief, glory, being counted worthy by God, being forever in His Presence.
The results of unbelief - affliction, retribution, and eternal destruction "away from the presence of The Lord and from the glory of His power."
Thess 2:10 - 17 gives this again.  The activity of Satan -deception, leads those who are perishing into wickedness, " because they did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved".  They are allowed to be deluded because they reject the Truth and take pleasure in wickedness.
But the believer in the Truth has been "chosen" from the beginning for " salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and faith in the Truth."  Called so that " you may gain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ"
O Lord, once again I plead for those who are unbelievers, have mercy O God, do not allow them to remain deluded by the enemy! Open their eyes and their hearts to receive the Truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  Almighty God, may they hate their own wickedness and turn to Jesus, the Way, the Truth, and the Life.  amen
Paul ends ch 2 with a wonderful prayer for believers " Now may our Lord Jesus Christ Himself and God our Father, who has loved us and given us eternal comfort and good hope by grace; comfort and strengthen your hearts in every good work and word."  And I say Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment