Wednesday, February 1, 2023

 Psalm 141  David offers this prayer as an evening offering.. as "incense" before the Lord. Consider these prayer requests:

v3 "Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth. Keep watch over the door of my lips."   Jesus said, ".. the mouth speaks out of that which fills the heart.."  Good comes from the mouth of one with a "good" heart and evil from the one who has a evil heart.. "And I say to you, that every careless word that men shall speak, they shall render account for it in the day of judgement. For by your words you shall be justified, and by your words you shall be condemned." (Matthew 12:34-37  James wrote much about the trouble of the tongue and how it is so hard to tame.  This prayer request is one we might all do well to include in our daily prayers.

v 4 "Do not incline my heart to any evil thing, to practice deeds of wickedness with men who do iniquity;"  Jesus taught us to pray.. ".. And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil." (Matt. 6:13)  We are quite aware of the ways of this world.. we know the power of peer pressure.. and the lure of material things. David struggled.. and so do we at times.  Let us also handle it by prayer.. daily putting on the armor of truth, righteousness, and faith. 

v5 " Let the righteous smite me in kindness and reprove me.."   I think this is a courageous prayer request. David asks that God will use others to discipline him when he errs. He prays that God will help him to receive that discipline.. "Do not let my head refuse it.."  There is both humility and wisdom in such a prayer. 

v9 "Keep me from the jaws of the trap which they ( the wicked) have set for me.. let the wicked fall into their own nets, while I pass by safely."  David has turned his eyes to the Lord.. "In Thee I take refuge; do not leave me defenseless."  He knows that there are enemies that want to trap him and he prays for God's intervention and judgement against them.  We know that we have an enemy  " your adversary, the devil prowls about like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour."  Like David, may we turn our eyes to the Lord and "resist" the devil "firm in [our] faith." ( I Peter 5:8-9)

Father in heaven, hear these prayers as we follow the example of David and meditate on Your Word. Guard our mouths. Keep our hearts pure and keep us from temptation. Let us humbly and wisely listen to godly counsel.. even when it is uncomfortable. Keep our eyes on Jesus, help us to know that greater is He who is in us than he who is in the world.  Thank You for the Word of Truth that fills our hearts and brings us into oneness with Your Spirit.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment