Friday, March 13, 2020

Numbers 3-4   The Lord continued to give Moses and Aaron directions for organizing the large community of Israel's people.  Here, He gives specific directions to the Levites.  There were three sons of Levi..Gershon, Kohath, and Merari.  Each clan was assigned to their place in the camp around the tent of meeting. Each clan was given a part of the tent that they would be responsible for - to carry and to maintain.

The men between the ages of 30-50 were drafted for the work.  They were under the supervision of Aaron's sons.  Each person was given a particular assignment.. " by name".   They had to be very careful to do things exactly as they should.. for if they touched or looked upon the Holy things - they would die.  It was a sacred duty. And it was hard work.

8,580 men between the ages of 30-50 were appointed by Moses, Aaron, and the leaders of Israel.
"... each one to his specific service or work." ( 4:49)

This brings to mind I Corinthians 12:7-28  where Paul teaches about the way God organizes the church...   " But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge.. " Verse 18 "But now God has placed the members, each one of them, in the body just as He desired."  God appoints the "apostles.. prophets.. teachers.. "etc.

What a wonderful reminder -  God has given each of us a particular assignment. He has called us by name.. to a specific service or work.  Romans 12:6 reminds us also.. " And since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let each exercise them accordingly; if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith; if service, in his serving; or he who teaches, in his teaching... " 

Like the Levites we have been assigned to a specific service, and gifted by the Holy Spirit for the work that God has placed us here to do for Him.  

Father in heaven, You have given me a responsibility. You have called me by name.  You have placed me in the body of Christ as You have desired and gifted me to serve here where You have placed me.
It is my sacred duty and I want to be faithful and careful to act according to Your will in everything that I do.  Let me sing every song from a surrendered and pure heart.  Let me write every word in this journal  with faith in  and obedience to You.  Let me abide in You and You in me.. and if fruit is produced, which I pray it will.. let it be to Your glory.  Thank You for taking this word from long ago and teaching me anew how great You are in every way!  Once again I commit myself to You.. presenting my body as a living sacrifice.. in true worship of my Lord and Savior.   I pray that all who read this will also hear Your voice.  In Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment