Monday, July 16, 2018

Acts 15  Thankful that these issues were addressed by the church so many years ago!  Those who wanted all Christians, Jews or Gentiles to be under the Law of Moses.. could not keep the Law and did not understand that Christ fulfilled the whole Law.  How wonderful that we are under the covenant of Grace and not the covenant of the Law.

As the elders of the Church in Jerusalem met, it is interesting to see that James, the brother of Jesus, has now stepped up into a leadership role.  What a transformation!  He grew up along side the Son of God and did not believe.. until after Jesus rose from the dead.  Now, he understood the Word and was led by the Holy Spirit.  The decisions that were made at that council resulted in freedom for all of the church to worship according to the grace of Jesus instead of the Law of Moses.

Three things were asked of the Gentile believers:
1. Abstain from things sacrificed to idols.
2. Abstain from partaking of blood and things strangled.
3. Abstain from fornication.

These 3 things were moral issues more than ceremonial laws.  If Jews and Gentiles were to become united into one body, then some agreements had to be made.  The Jews would agree that the Gentiles did not have to be circumcised or to follow Jewish laws.  The Gentiles would be willing to give up idols and immortality .  The agreement was that all.. Jew or Gentile "are saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, in the same way..." 

There is a great old hymn.. "Tell me the old, old story"... and I think about it now as I marvel again at the message of salvation.  Eph. 2:8 "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; "  And, Romans 3:24-25 " .. being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus; whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood through faith...."

Tell me the old, old story
Of unseen things above,
Of Jesus and His glory, 
Of Jesus and His love;
Tell me the story simply
As to a little child, 
For I am weak and weary, 
And helpless and defiled. 

Tell me the story slowly
That I may take it in-
That wonderful redemption,
God's remedy for sin;
Tell me the story often, 
For I forget so soon;
The early dew of morning
Has passed away at noon. 

Tell me the story softly
with earnest tones and grave; 
Remember I'm the sinner
Whom Jesus came to save;
Tell me the story always,
If you would really be,
In any kind of trouble, 
A comforter to me. 

Tell me the same old story
When you have cause to fear
That this world's empty glory 
Is costing me too dear;
Yes, and when that world's glory 
Is dawning on my soul, 
Tell me the old, old story; 
Christ Jesus makes thee whole. 

Tell me the old, old story,
Tell me the old, old story, 
Tell me the old, old story
Of Jesus and His love. 


Father in heaven,  how can we ever thank You enough for the salvation that You have granted to us though  the grace of the Lord Jesus?  How wonderful, how marvelous is your infinite love and kindness to us!  While we were still in our sin and darkness.. You sent Your son to be the payment for our guilty souls!  Precious Savior, we thank You and praise Your Holy Name!  Fill us with Your Spirit, Lord, that we might be Your witnesses wherever we are today.  May the old, old story be our song to those who need to hear it !  In Jesus' name we pray, amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment