Thursday, May 29, 2014

Psalm 7  David pleads with God to help him stand against the enemy.   Verses 1-2 are a simple prayer of deliverance from the pursuer of his soul.   "Lest he tear my soul like  a lion, dragging me away, while there is none to deliver."  Peter echoes this in his letter (  I Peter 5:8) " Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary the devil prowls about like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour."
David recognizes that this adversary is often times within us... " O Lord my God, if I have done this, if there is injustice in my hands, if I have rewarded evil to my friend, or have plundered him who without cause is my adversary, let the enemy pursue my soul and overtake it; and let him trample my life down to the ground, and lay my glory in the dust."

Yes, David had many enemies on the outside, but his concern here emphasizes the enemy that is within his own soul.   He seeks vindication from God.  He seeks righteousness and justice in his own life as well as in the world around him.  In true humility he makes this plea to the Lord . Hear his prayer,  a great prayer that we also need to lift up to the Judge of heaven and earth: 
 " O let the evil of the wicked come to an end, but establish the righteous;" ( verse 9)

Father in Heaven, Righteous Judge who tries the hearts and minds,  who saves the upright in heart,  this is our prayer.  Let wickedness come to and end and establish righteousness in us... in me. 
Let wickedness come to an end in Your church and in Your creation.  Establish righteousness in our community and in our country.   The lion who seeks to devour us is vicious and persistent. By Your power may we resist him, standing firm in the our faith.  Father, we cast all our anxiety upon You because You care for us.  We know that  You are the God of grace and You have called us to Your eternal glory in Jesus Christ and that You will "perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish" us. (I Peter 5:10"  And like David, we take refuge in You. We give thanks to You. We sing praises to "the name of the Lord Most High."  We put our trust in Your lovingkindness and rejoice in Your salvation. 
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment