Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Psalm 26 David's prayer starts out rather boldly.... "Vindicate me, O Lord, for I have walked in my integrity; and I have trusted in the Lord without wavering."   But, the next statement seems to temper his boldness... " Examine me, O Lord, and try me; test my mind and my heart."

Like David, we may examine ourselves and think we are doing great... but we need to let God be the Judge, to reveal the things in our minds and hearts that we have hidden, even from ourselves.

 Paul wrote about that in I Corinthians 4:3 "But to me it is a very small thing that I should be examined by you, or by any human court; in fact, I do not even examine myself.  For I am conscious of nothing against myself, yet I am not by this acquitted; but the one who examines me is the Lord. "  He goes on to tell us to ".... wait until the Lord comes who will both bring to light the things hidden in the  darkness and disclose the motives of men's hearts; and then each man's praise will come to him from God" ( v5) 

 That is not to say we shouldn't examine ourselves.. for we are supposed to do that:
Matthew 7:5 "You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye..."  Jesus tells those who wish to judge others... examine yourselves first.
I Corinthians 11:28 "But let a man examine himself..." and
II Corinthians 13:5 " Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you - unless you fail the test."

But, we cannot stop there. We must come willingly to the One Who examines with Holy Light.
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.  Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and turn away from evil." ( Proverbs 3:5-7)

David shares his self-examination with us:
He walked in TRUTH - rather than deceit and pretending. ( v3-4)
He delighted in WORSHIP - rather than in wickedness. (v5-8)
He chose INTEGRITY - rather than bloodshed, wicked schemes, and bribery. (v 9-11)
He would rather be in church than on the board of directors of an evil company.
In the presence of God rather than in the presence of the most powerful, wicked men.

Sounds pretty good, doesn't it?  But, again, David does not rest on the goodness of his own conscience.  "Redeem me and be gracious to me." (verse 11) David prays.   Right now I'm doing ok - "My foot stands on a level place;"   not facing a mountain or a valley,  not being thrown a curve...
but, not taking that for granted.  Still "poor in spirit".  Still in need of God's grace.

David keeps his eyes on the Lord.  He is trying, but not relying on himself.   It is not all about him and his efforts.. it's all about the Lord, the Mighty God, the King of Heaven, the Holy One of Israel.
It is His Name that is to be honored, therefore David ends his prayer, " In the congregations I shall bless the Lord."

O heavenly Father, let us hear Your voice and seek Your examination of our own hearts and minds.
"Search me, O God and know my heart; try me and know my anxious thoughts; and see if there be any hurtful way in me, and lead me in the everlasting way." ( Ps. 139:23-24)  Am I, are we, walking in Your Truth?  Do I delight in worshipping You?  Am I choosing integrity over the schemes of this world and the evil one?  Father, I want to walk in Your paths, so I pray that You will lead me in the paths of righteousness for Your Name's sake.  Let Your will be done in my life and in my family and church.  Reign in us Lord!  Let Your Name be honored and revered in all the earth!
Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment