Monday, May 3, 2021

 I Chronicles 17   David's love and devotion to the Lord was expressed in his desire to build house for the Lord.  Yet, God's response was "No".   Instead, the Lord makes a promise to David, to build him a house.. a kingdom.. that would never end.. ".. I will set up one of your descendants after you, who shall be of your sons; and I will establish his kingdom.  He shall build Me a house and I will establish his throne forever.  I will be his father and he shall be My son; and I will not take My lovingkindness away from him... but I will settle him in My house and in My kingdom forever, and his throne shall be established forever." (v11-14)

We know that it was Solomon who built the temple.. but it is Jesus who is King forever.  David simply believed that God would do all that He said and rejoiced in His promises.  But, Solomon turned away from God and his descendants all failed to live up to their potential...  Until, Jesus came. 

It is in Jesus that all the promises made to David will be fulfilled.  Hebrews 1 tells us that it is Jesus who , "has inherited a more excellent name.. " It is of Jesus that the Psalmist wrote (quoted in Hebrews 1:8) "But of the Son, He says, Thy throne, O God, is forever and ever, and the righteous scepter of His kingdom.." 

David said, "Who am I, O Lord God, and what is my house that Thou has brought me this far?" And it is Jesus who was "made.. for a little while lower than the angels;"  and then ".. crowned.. with glory and honor... and appointed.. over the works of [His] Hands".  It is to Jesus that all things are subjected.. "He left nothing that is not subject to him.."  Jesus, our great High Priest, will never fail to reign.. for He has fulfilled all the Law and has received all of the promises given to David.  As the writer in Hebrews said, "let us hold firmly to the faith we profess" (4:14b NIV).

Father in heaven, we are so thankful for such a King as this.. Jesus Christ, perfect in holiness, in love, and in everything.. to the glory of Your Name.  Thank You that every promise that You make, You will fulfill. Help us to have the kind of faith that David had.. to trust and to obey... to be thankful and to praise You always.  May Your Kingdom come, Lord, and Your will be done on earth, even as it is in heaven.  We draw near with confidence to Your throne of grace that we might receive both mercy and grace in our time of need. We need You every hour, Lord God! In Jesus' name we pray. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment