Friday, March 19, 2021

 Isaiah 46 The false gods of Babylon.. all false god, from the past, present, and future - are "burdensome", the Lord tells His people.  You spend your money, you hire someone to make the idol, you lug it home, and set it up.  It doesn't move. It doesn't speak.. and it "cannot deliver" you from your distress.  It is worthless. 

All  the success, all the wealth, all the beauty, all of the things that our culture worships.. are the same as an idol made of wood, silver, or gold.. worthless... when you need help, worthless when you are on your death bed, worthless when your marriage is falling apart, worthless when your addiction has brought you to the end of your life... when there is no more hope...

But, listen to what God says.. "You who have been borne by Me from birth, and have been carried from the womb; even to your old age, I shall be the same, and even to your graying years I shall bear you; And I shall bear you and I shall deliver you. To whom would you liken Me, and make Me equal and compare Me, that we should be alike?" 

Our world is broken by fear, anxiety, hatred, and self-centeredness.  It is a burden that we carry.. to be good enough.. to be smart enough.. to be successful enough.. The pressure to be better than others has led to heartache, hostility, suicide and homicide.  We see it every day on the news.. on our streets.. in our own families.. 

But, for those who will turn to the One true God.. there is hope .. "Listen to Me you stubborn-minded, who are far from righteousness. I bring near My righteousness, it is not far off; and My salvation will not delay, and I will grant salvation in Zion and My glory for Israel." 

Jesus came to preach this very thing.. "From that time Jesus began to preach and say, 'Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand'" ( Matthew 4:17)  He came to fulfill the Father's plan!

We choose.. to carry a burden that we can never find life in, that can never save or satisfy.... or to be carried by the One who made us, loves us, and offers us His Kingdom.  Jesus came for this very purpose. God declared it. God did it. God will accomplish all His purposes. ( Isaiah 46:10)

Father in heaven, hallowed be Your name.  You are God and there is no other. You have made us. You have loved us.  You know that we have no hope of salvation, no hope of life in our own power, so You sent Jesus.  Thank You Jesus, for being perfectly without sin, for willingly laying down Your life to pay the penalty for my sin.  Thank You for making me righteous in Your sight by Your gift of salvation.  I pray that You would continue Your work.. Your purposes in my life and in my family, in our church and in our world.   Let all the earth praise the Lord! Let Your righteousness rain down. Let the Name of Jesus be proclaimed to the ends of the earth, I pray. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment