Friday, March 5, 2021

 Isaiah 38  Hezekiah became very ill and Isaiah was sent to tell him that he would die.  But, Hezekiah prayed and the Lord healed him and gave him 15 more years.  

In verse 3 we read Hezekiah's prayer.. "Remember now, O Lord, I beseech Thee, how I have walked before Thee in truth and with a whole heart, and have done what is good in Thy sight."  The Lord heard this prayer and  saw Hezekiah's tears.  He granted healing to Hezekiah and deliverance of the city.  He even gave Hezekiah a miraculous sign - "... the sun's shadow went back ten steps on the stairway"  of Ahaz's tower.  Think of this as a sundial - and time went backwards.  That's pretty astounding. 

Verses 9-20  are "... a writing of Hezekiah king of Judah"  from that time as he reflected on what had happened to him.  His description of his illness, when he was told he would die.. is interesting: 

"In the middle of my life I am to enter the gates of Sheol"  he begins. "I am to be deprived of the rest of my years... "  He likens death to:

" a shepherd's tent.. pulled up and removed.."

".. a weaver.. [who] rolled up my life.. He cuts me off from the loom."

".. like a lion - so He breaks all my bones.. "

"Like a swallow, like a crane, so I twitter; I moan like a dove." 

In the depth of his sorrow, the Lord restored Hezekiah back to health. "It is Thou who hast kept my soul from nothingness, for Thou hast cast all my sins behind Thy back." 

Hezekiah gives praise to the Lord who has saved Him. 

II Chronicles 32:25  tells us that this illness was given to Hezekiah because  "his heart was proud".  And verse 26 tells us that ".. Hezekiah humbled the pride of his heart, both he and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, so that the wrath of the Lord did to come on them in the days of Hezekiah." 

In the times that we are living, we are hearing a lot about death. I find it interesting that so many people talk about how their friend or loved one.."didn't deserve to die".  Like Hezekiah, those who are stricken down think they are being "deprived" of the years that they should have. We act as if death shouldn't happen to us until we are ready for it... our hearts are proud, too.  Like Hezekiah, we must humble our hearts before the Lord.  He is God. He decides when we live and when we die.  He sees us.. everyone of us and has written in His book the "days.. ordained" for each of us.  ( Psalm 139) 

The truth that I keep hearing from My Shepherd is "Trust the Lord forever, for in God we have an Everlasting Rock."  When we keep our minds steadily on Him, He gives us His "perfect peace".  We just have to keep trusting!

Father, You are always faithful, always good, and always in control.  No matter our circumstances, no matter the political issues, no matter the pandemic... our days are in Your Hands.. written in Your book. Thank You for being my Everlasting Rock. Help me to keep trusting. Help me to keep clinging to Jesus, trusting that as I abide in Him and He in me, You will sanctify me through and through according to Your Word.  Be glorified in Your children today, I pray, In the name of Jesus. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment