Thursday, March 14, 2019

I Peter 1  This letter is packed with so much that I want to dig into and meditate on.. I'm going to take this in small bites..

Verses 1-2  Peter addresses this letter to "those who reside as aliens.."  - reminding us that WE are "aliens and strangers" as the people of God.

 Hebrews 11:13 speaks of those who "died in faith... having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth."  Peter will speak more about this in chapter 2...but it is important that we stop and confess this truth... this world is not our home. Not any more.  Not if we are true believers in Jesus Christ.  We belong to God's Kingdom.  Ephesians 2:19 says.. " So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but are fellow citizens with the saints and are of God's household."  We may not have  changed our physical  nationality.. but we have been changed in a far greater way!

Brings to my mind an old hymn...

" I am a stranger here within a foreign land, 
My home is far away upon a golden strand; 
Ambassador to be of realms beyond the sea,
 I'm here on business for My King."

And an old chorus:
"This world is not my home
I'm just a-passing through
My treasures are laid up 
somewhere beyond the blue
The angels beckon me
from heaven's open door
And I can't feel at home in this world anymore 

O Lord, You know I have no friend like You
If heaven's not my home,
then Lord what would I do?
The angels beckon me from heaven's open door
And I can't feel at home in this world anymore."

Which brings me to really examine myself in this matter.. am I living like I really believe this?
Am I feeling too at home in this world?
Sometimes... 

Father in heaven,  You are MY King and I am Your child.  I belong to You and I am "chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, by the sanctifying work of the Spirit, that [I] may obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled with His blood;"  May I truly live as an alien and stranger to this world and an ambassador for You.  In Christ I stand and in His name I pray. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment