Friday, November 4, 2016

Psalm 86  David's prayers are so personal and give us such an intimate look into his heart.  Over and over again, he shows us what it means to be a man who is after the heart of God... with every problem, every affliction, every terrible situation.. David's first thought is to pray and every prayer ended up in praise to the Lord.  

In our Wednesday night prayer meeting we were discussing Psalm 61 and how David had made a vow, a promise to the Lord that he would "pay his vow" every day... the vow to praise God.  David's many psalms prove that he kept that vow quite literally.  I reflected on a message that I had heard that day on the radio, where the speaker was preaching on the book of Numbers.  The preacher talked about how the people of Israel reacted to their problems and afflictions - they grumbled, complained, and rebelled.  This contrast made quite an impression on me..

David's reactions to his struggles was always to pray and to praise the Lord, remembering what God had done for him and therefore trusting Him once more. 

Israel's was to grumble, complain, and rebel,  forgetting what God had done for them and refusing to trust Him at all. 

Perhaps we need to examine our  own reactions to trials and troubles that come our way... do we pray or do we grumble?

This psalm (86) once again gives us this wonderful example of what a heart for God does:

"Incline Thine ear, O Lord, and answer me; for I am afflicted and needy." 
David makes his requests known: ( what do we need to ask today?)
Preserve me.
Save me.
Be gracious to me.
Bring gladness to my soul.
Hear me.
Help me.
Teach me Your ways.
Give me strength.
Show me Your goodness.

Interspersed with his requests, David, pours our praise and thanksgiving.. this is the heart of his prayer:
" For Thou , Lord, art good, and ready to forgive, and abundant in lovingkindness to all who call upon Thee." (v5)
"There is no one like Thee among the gods, O Lord; nor are there any works like Thine." ( v8)
"For Thou are great and doest wondrous deeds; Thou alone art God." (v10)
"But Thou, O Lord, art a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abundant in lovingkindness and truth." (v15)
David says, " I will give thanks to Thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart, and will glorify Thy name forever." ( v12)
"For Thy lovingkindness  toward me is great..." (v 13);
because God had delivered him before and would do so again;
because David knew that God heard his prayers and he trusted that God would answer again.
The Word tells us that God dwells in the praises of His people... when we genuinely praise the Lord like David.. we are in the presence of God! ( Psalm 22:3)

Heavenly Father,  You are good and Your Word is precious as it shows us Your heart and the kind of heart that You desire for us to have... a heart that always seeks You and knows You more and more. Thank You for helping us to remember.. by giving us these psalms of David as guideposts.. as footprints for us to follow in Your ways.  There is no god like You, O Lord.  There is not one who loves us and shows mercy and forgives us when we sin. There is no other truth and no other grace. We bless Your Holy name. Lord, fill our hearts with Yourself, with Your Word, by Your Spirit Who lives in us. May our hearts be Yours forever and Your praise be ever on our lips. Thank You for the privilege of coming to Your throne of grace in the Name of our blessed Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment