Monday, December 21, 2015

I Chronicles 7-10  The writer continues to give lists of the names of those for each tribe of Israel.  Chapter 9:1 "So all Israel was enrolled by genealogies; and behold they are written in the Book of the Kings of Israel. And Judah was carried away into exile to Babylon for their unfaithfulness."   Then he goes on to talk about the Levites who were chosen gatekeepers for the tabernacle.  A couple of interesting statements:

v22  " All these who were chosen to be gatekeepers... appointed in there office of trust." 
v27 "and they spent the night around the house of God, because the watch was committed to them; and they were in charge of opening it morning by morning." 
v31 " Mattithiah.... had the responsibility over the things which were baked in pans."
v33 " Now these are the singers, heads of fathers' households of the Levites, who lived in the chambers of the temple free from other service; for they were engaged in their work day and night." 
Those who kept the watch over the gates, those who baked the bread, and those who sang... were chosen for these specific tasks. Some were also in charge of the treasuries and the chambers. They served together for one purpose - worship - but with very different kinds of service.  Reminds me of Paul's teaching on spiritual gifts.. each of us given gifts that "differ according to the grace given to us" (Romans 12)  But, how many of us consider our various ministries in the church as an "office of trust" or a "responsibility"?  Especially when it a volunteer position?

Starting with chapter 10 the writer begins to give us a history lesson of sorts.  Here he focuses on the death of Saul and his sons, summarizing in verses 13-14 " So Saul died for his trespass which he committed against the Lord, because of the word of the Lord, which he did not keep; and also because he asked counsel of a medium, making an inquiry of it, and did not inquire of the Lord. Therefore He killed him, and turned the kingdom over to David the son of Jesse."

Mattithiah was responsible for baking and did it with commitment.
Saul was responsible to lead a nation and failed miserably.

Truth - God calls us to serve, in big things or small. Our duty is not to worry about the size of our realm - but to be faithfully committed and engaged in the work He has chosen us for.

Father,  take my life and let it be, consecrated Lord to Thee.  You have made me a wife, a mom, and a grandmother.  You have given me a home to care for, a husband to love and encourage, and a family to pray for and serve.  You have given me a place to sing in Your sanctuary.  These things, Lord, I thank You for and I ask that You will strengthen me to serve You with all my heart and soul and mind.  Father, I ask that You would guide my feet and enlighten my understanding that I might serve wherever You want me to.  I am Your servant, Lord.  Do as You will in my life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment