Tuesday, December 19, 2023

 II Corinthians 7 "Therefore having these promises.."  The promise that God will dwell in us and walk among us.. that He will be our God and we will be His people.. that He will be a Father to us.. because of this.. "let us cleanse ourselves from all defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God."   

"Perfecting holiness" ?  That seems an impossible goal.. how do we even begin?  Paul tells us to start by cleansing ourselves from "defilement".. filthiness, immorality.. "of flesh and spirit".  Peter put it this way.. " As obedient children, do not be conformed to the former lusts which were yours in your ignorance, but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior.. " ( I Peter 1:14-15)  Peter goes on to write this.. "since you have in obedience to the truth purified your souls... love.. "  Perfecting holiness does not come without our surrender.. to obey the truth.. to choose His ways.. 

We have been cleansed by the blood of Jesus.. "redeemed.. with precious blood, as of a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ.." ( I Peter 1:18-19) It is in His power and His provision that we "perfect holiness".  We surrender all.. we rely fully.. and we obey the Truth.. 

Paul continues to speak to the church about the sorrow that they had because of his previous letter.. and the comfort that he received when they repented and obeyed the word. "Godly sorrow".. Paul tells us "produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation.. "  Sorrow is something we do not desire.. yet we recognize that it is a part of our lives here on earth.  Yet, when it produces the good that our God desires.. in this case repentance.. then it is something we can be thankful for.. " And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose" ( Romans 8:28)  His purpose.. that we might be "conformed to the image of His Son.."   We will not regret having sorrow.. when we put it in God's hands and allow Him to use it to make us like Jesus!

Father in heaven,  I know.. and I can testify that You have taken my sorrows.. and You are doing a good thing.. in me.. and in those I love.  Thank You for the great promises of Your Word.. thank You that You will do that complete work in me.. perfecting holiness.. in my flesh and in my spirit.  I am Yours, Lord God, Your servant.. Your daughter, and I desire to walk in Your ways... in complete obedience.. in holiness.  Fill me with Your Spirit and help me, I pray..  in Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment