Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Psalm 88

 Psalm 88 This psalm is a desperate prayer from a man who  feels that he is about to die.. and not just pass into his heavenly home.. but to go down to Abaddon - the place of destruction..It is attributed to Heman the Ezrahite.

"O Lord, the God of my salvation, I have cried out by day and in the night before Thee. Let my prayer come before Thee; Incline Thine ear to my cry!" 

The psalmist is in trouble and he feels his life is done. " I am reckoned among those who go down to the pit; I have become like a man without strength."   Perhaps we have  felt that way at one time or another. On our sickbed.. in depression.. under horrible circumstances .. of our own making or not..  We might feel forsaken, cut off, afflicted.. alone and in terror. The psalmist feels as if God has rejected him and in anger has brought him to the point of death.  I don't know that I have ever felt that level of darkness and pain.. but I know some who have.. 

Yet, in spite of his feelings.. which he honestly lifts up to God in prayer.. it is clear that the psalmist's faith is in the Lord. 

" I have called upon Thee every day, O Lord; I have spread out my hands to Thee." ( v9)

"But I, O Lord, have cried out to Thee for help, and in the morning my prayer comes before Thee." (v13)

This psalm does not end with resolution or praise or any answers.. and we know by experience that we sometimes do not get an answer to our prayers.. at least not one we can see.  But, we can still learn from this psalm.. that even when we are in our most desperate need.. we can walk in faith.. in prayer.. trusting the Lord.. as Psalm 86:15 reminds us "But Thou, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abundant in lovingkindness and truth."  As my friend Kate said Sunday night.. "We must speak truth to ourselves!" 

Father in heaven, You are good.  Your lovingkindness is abundant to us who call upon You.  You have not forsaken us or left us in darkness.. even if we don't always see things as You do.  Keep us walking in faith and in truth, according to Your good will. Open our eyes, Lord, that we might see Your glory and praise Your name today.. no matter what our circumstances might be.  In Jesus' name we come. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment