Monday, August 24, 2020

Galatians 1-2 The writer is Paul, who says he "received [his] commission not from human beings or through human mediation but through Yeshua ( Jesus) the Messiah and God the Father, who raised him from the dead.. " 

The church in Galatia consisted of Gentile converts.  They were being influenced and pressured by Jewish legalists who were trying to force them to convert to Judaism so they could be true Christians.
Paul calls this a "false gospel".   Paul denounces this version( and any other version)  of the Good News vehemently - "if anyone announces 'Good News' contrary to what you received, let him be under a curse forever!"

There is only one true gospel.. Paul asserts,  the gospel received  directly from Jesus Himself. (v11)
He states that when God "who had set me apart, even from my mother's womb, and called me through His grace, was pleased to reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him... "  he did not consult with anyone else.. not even the apostles in Jerusalem .

Paul was sent to the Gentiles to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  Even though he was Jewish, and he continued to be Jewish, he knew it was not right for Gentiles to be forced into a different culture and religion, nor to become legalistic followers of the Torah, in order to be saved. That would NOT be Good News!

Salvation is through faith in Jesus Christ, whether one is a Jew or Gentile.. "knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even so we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we may be justified by faith in Christ... " ( 2:16)  Paul asserts.. there is no other way.

It boils down to this confession, " I have been crucified with Christ and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me, and delivered Himself up for Me."   The Complete Jewish Bible puts it this way, " When Messiah was executed on the stake as a criminal, I was too; so that my proud ego no longer lives.  But the Messiah lives in me, and the life I now live in my body I live by the same trusting faithfulness that the Son of God had, who loved me and gave Himself for me." 

The Good News.. the Gospel of Jesus Christ.. must not be perverted or contaminated or lessened by our culture or viewpoint.  The good news is that Jesus Christ, the Son of God was executed on a stake.. on the cross, to pay the penalty for sin, for our sins.. so that we might be justified - rendered innocent - in the sight of our God.  Jesus died, was buried in a tomb for 3 days and rose again. He finished the work that the Father gave Him.  Through trusting in Him we are saved. Period.  That is Good News!

Father in heaven, we bless Your Name and give You glory and honor for You alone are God.  We come to You in the name of our Savior and King, Jesus Christ, who died for us, who has purchased our salvation, who has made us Your children.. O what glorious grace!  Let us proclaim the True Gospel and rejoice in You alone!  We desire to love You fully and to walk in Truth and Light.  Guide us today in all we do and say.. fill us Holy Spirit we pray, in Jesus name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment