Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Jeremiah 27-28  Yokes.. We know that oxen are yoked together; joined by a simple bar so that they can work together.  Here, Jeremiah is told to make a yoke for himself and to bind it to his own neck.  It is a visual message of God's Word - all the nations who will come under the yoke of Nebuchadnezzar  will be preserved;  all those who refuse, will be destroyed.  " I have made the earth, the men and the beasts which are on the face of the earth by My great power and by My outstretched arm, and I will give it to the one who is pleasing in My sight."  the Lord declares.  And that is Nebuchadnezzar...

"Bring your necks under the yoke of the king of Babylon and serve him and his people, and live.." Jeremiah pleads with Zedekiah.. ".. as the Lord has spoken..."  Even as Jeremiah pleads for them not to listen to the false prophets.. Hananiah pushes his way into the Lord's house and proclaims, " Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, ' I have broken the yoke of the king of Babylon.'"

Jeremiah had set up a test of sorts... The prophets would say that the vessels of the Lord's house would be returned from Babylon shortly..  but that is a lie.  But ask them to do this.. ".. if they are prophets, and if the word of the Lord is with them, let them now entreat the Lord of hosts, that the vessels which are left in the house of the Lord, in the house of the king of Judah, and in Jerusalem, may not go to Babylon."  Let them at least say something worthwhile if they have to speak..

Hananiah is the one who comes proclaiming that the vessels would be returned to Jerusalem within 2 years.  Jeremiah's response is perfect, " Amen! May the Lord do so; may the Lord confirm your words which you have prophesied to bring back the vessels of the Lord's house and all the exiles from Babylon to this place.. "  But, " hear now the word... The prophet who prophesies of peace, when the word of the prophet shall come to pass, then that prophet will be known as one whom the Lord has truly sent."   

Hananiah does not quit.  He takes the wooden yoke that Jeremiah has been wearing and breaks it; continuing to proclaim that Nebuchadnezzar would be removed and the vessels returned in two years.
Jeremiah leaves, but comes back to Hananiah privately.  Not only will the yoke not be removed, but it will become a yoke of iron instead of wood.  Not only was the prophesy of Hananiah a lie, but it was a counsel of" rebellion against the Lord."  Because of this, Jeremiah prophesied,  Hananiah would die within a year.  This prophesy was fulfilled within 2 months, proving that Jeremiah is the true prophet.

Deuteronomy 28: 47-48.. in the list of "curses" that will come upon Israel for disobedience to God's word is this.." Because you did not serve the Lord your God with joy and a glad heart, for the abundance of all things; therefore you shall serve your enemies whom the Lord shall send against you, in hunger, in thirst, in nakedness and in the lack of all things; and He will put an iron yoke on your neck until He has destroyed you. " 
 Once again we see that God is doing what He said He would do!

Jesus also talked about a yoke.. " Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart; and you shall find rest for your souls.  For My yoke is easy and My load is light." ( Matt. 11:29-30)

We either willingly put our necks under the yoke of Jesus.. or we will find ourselves under a yoke of iron in service to our enemy.  Satan lusts for our submission to him.  His aim is to keep up locked up until we are destroyed.  But, Jesus came to rescue us for all time and eternity! He has set us free from the dominion of darkness and brought us into His Kingdom of Light!  Praise the Name of our Lord!!!

Father,  I am willing.. to take the yoke of my King, to learn from Jesus, to be bound to Him and serving in unity with my wonderful Savior.  Once again, I am reminded to offer myself, my body, soul, mind, and spirit.. as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable.. in worship to You, the God of Creation, my Maker. Do as You have said You would in me.. sanctify me through and through that I might stand before You, blameless and complete in Christ on that day.  Use me as You choose, I am Your servant..  I ask this in the Name above all names, Jesus Christ the Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment