Friday, April 28, 2017

Matthew 8

The second individual that Jesus interacts with after coming down from the mount upon the completion of His sermon is a centurion.   This man appeals to Jesus on behalf of his servant who is paralyzed and suffering.  Jesus offers to come and heal the man, but the centurion reveals his understanding of the authority that Jesus has over everything.  Jesus commends the man's faith and heals the servant from where He is in Capernaum.

Jesus uses this situation to teach about the Kingdom of heaven.  "... many shall come from the east and west, and recline at the table with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob... "  This Roman centurion, a Gentile, acted in faith, more that "anyone in Israel",  Jesus said.   It is faith that brings us to the Kingdom's table.  ".. But the sons of the kingdom shall be cast out into the outer darkness; in that place there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." ( v11-12)  It is a lack of faith that casts men out, that excludes them from the Kingdom of heaven.

The centurion had faith to:
come to Jesus
plead with Jesus
intercede for his servant
acknowledge Jesus' authority
obey Jesus' direction to go his way and find his servant healed.

I find myself thinking about my faith.
Do I seek out and come to Jesus with my needs?  Or do I try to find a solution on my own?
Do I plead with Jesus in prayer?  Or do I complain and worry?
Do I  intercede for others?  Or do I ignore or placate them?
Do I really know and believe in the authority of Jesus?
Do I obey His word and walk in His ways?

I like to think that I do those things... but I fall short... way too often.

Father in heaven , You are holy and patient and forgiving.  How many times You must wonder at my little faith! Forgive me Lord!  I do not want to fall short of Your desire for me to be diligent to add to my faith, to grow in faith and in the knowledge of the Savior, Who has been given all authority in heaven and on the earth.  Faith is Your gift to us, Lord.  Thank You for that.  Do in me what You desire that I might live out that great gift until the day that I recline at the table with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.  I ask this in the Name, the authority of Jesus Christ the Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment