Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Psalm 73

Like the psalmist, Asaph, we must be careful to discern the truth.  God is good to those who belong to Him.

V2-12 -These verses describe the "wicked", those who seem to prosper and thrive in spite of their lack of fear of the Lord.
They are arrogant and prosperous.
They don't seem to suffer even when they die.
They are fat from rich food and wealth.
They seem isolated from the normal trials of life.
They are prideful.
They are violent.
They have vivid imaginations.
They mock others.
They oppress others.
They even mock God.
They seem to have it all.. and flaunt it before the believers.

It seems as if the people of God have been betrayed, for in spite of trying to remain pure and faithful, they suffer. Until...

v17- 20  "Until I came into the sanctuary of God; then I perceived their end."

There is a day of righteous judgement.  God has warned us that it will come.  Those who have denied Him, rebelled against Him, and refuse to repent, will face Him at His judgement seat.  And they will face His wrath.

God sets them in "slippery places."
He casts them "down to destruction". 
They will be "destroyed in a moment ".
"They are utterly swept away by sudden terror." 

This truth brings repentance to the writer - his jealousy and bitterness against the prospering wicked, is just as sinful as their sin.  "I was pierced within, then I was senseless and ignorant; I was like a beast before Thee." 

Turning back to the Lord, he proclaims his faith in God's goodness to him.
" I am continually with Thee; Thou hast taken hold of my right hand.  With Thy counsel Thou wilt guide me, and afterward receive me to glory.  Whom have I in  heaven but Thee? And besides Thee, I desire nothing on earth. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." ( 23-26)

Those "far from" God will perish.  All the unfaithful are included here. 
"But as for me, the nearness of God is my good; I have made the Lord God my refuge, That I may tell of all They works."

Oh Father in heaven, be near to me, to us, who call on You and repent of our failures and bitterness and unrighteous judgements.  Forgive us and help us to be people who forgive others.  Lead us in Your ways that we might share the good news of Jesus to all we can.  I pray for those who are headed to destruction because of their unfaithfulness and wickedness.  O, God, our only Savior , have mercy on us.. on this nation.  Bring repentance and revival to Your people we pray in the name of the Glorious One, Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment