Monday, June 9, 2014

Exodus 3  After Moses meets God on the mountain, and after God initiates a relationship by calling Moses by name, He, first of all, instructs Moses about His Holiness.

The next thing that God does is introduce Himself: " I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob."  This reference is used again in verse 15 and again in verse 16.   God= elohiym,  great, might, supreme judge.  But in verse 13 Moses asks for God's Name and God gives it to him!
" I AM WHO I AM" = YHWH = Yahweh= LORD or Jehovah.  God calls this His "memorial-name". His Name to be remembered. He adds this Name in verse 16  "The LORD, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, ..."  and in verse 18 " The LORD, the God of the Hebrews..."

The LORD teaches Moses so much about Himself in this initial meeting.  His Holiness.  His eternal existence as the One Who IS.  And He also shows him what matters to Him.
"I have seen the affliction of My people." verse 7
"I am aware of their sufferings."
"So I have come down to deliver them..." verse 8
The LORD, God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob has heard the cries of His people and has come to rescue them from the hands of the Egyptians.

And... He is going to use Moses in the process!
" Therefore, come now, and I will send you..." verse10
Moses is very skeptical about this plan of God's, but the LORD assures him that he will not go alone.
"Certainly I will be with you..." verse12
"...I will stretch out My hand..." verse20
and  " I will grant this people favor in the sight of the Egyptians..." verse21

LORD, You are our  God and You are our Father .  You have revealed Yourself to us according to Your plan and purposes.  You desire for us to know that You are Holy, altogether set apart from Your creation, and that we should come reverently into Your Presence.  You desire for us to know Who You are, that You are LORD, the eternal  I AM.  You have always been and You will always be.   You desire for us to know the things that You care about.  You care about people.  People in bondage.  People who are suffering.  People who are crying out to You for help and deliverance.  And, You desire to use us, to send us to be part of Your great plans.  You do not send us on our own, but You are with us, You stretch out Your hand to deliver and set free the captives.  You grant Your people favor in the sight of the enemy.  As David wrote, " Thou doest prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies." ( Psalm 23:5) We thank You for these truths from Your Word today.  May we walk willingly and faithfully in Your ways today. We ask this in the Name of Jesus, Your blessed Son, Amen .

No comments:

Post a Comment