Tuesday, April 9, 2024

 Philippians 1: 1-11  Paul was in prison.. in Rome.. when he wrote this letter to the church in Philippi. He begins the letter with words of love.. "I thank my God in all my remembrance of you.. "  Who would you write those words to?  The first that comes to my mind is my husband and daughter.. but all of my family would be included.. I think fondly of siblings and grandchildren.. nieces and nephews.. but also, my brothers and sisters in Christ. So thankful for those who God has put into my life.  But, Paul did not stop at  just thinking about them.. he was "always offering prayer" for them "with joy"!  

What joy we have when we know that those we love are walking with Jesus! Paul wrote, "For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus."  Paul trusted the Lord to accomplish His good will and purpose in this church.  He didn't stop praying that grace and peace would abound.. and that their "love may abound still more and more in real knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve the things that are excellent in order to be sincere and blameless until the day of Christ." 

Jonathan Graf writes in his book Praying Like Paul.. " Love is an amazing force! God is love! Paul was praying for love so that they would grow in their discernment of what was best (God's will and purposes) and that they would live pure and blameless lives."  He goes on to say, "Praying for love for yourself and others will have a profound effect on you or those you pray for - on how you view life, on how you handle circumstances, on how you pray for others." 

I'm reminded of the letter written to the church in Ephesus, found in Revelation 2.. the message from Jesus was that the church had left their first love... They were doing the right things, but their hearts were growing colder. Paul's prayer in the letter to the Philippians was that their love would abound more and more.. for without a greater love there would not be "real knowledge and discernment".. they would not be able to distinguish the more excellent things of the Lord in order to live sincere and blameless lives in Christ. 

Father, I pray that You will give me a greater love.. a deeper love for You and for others. I pray that You will lead the church to seek Your amazing love in deeper ways. May we encourage and bless one another by praying for this great love to fill our homes and our churches.. our towns and our world.  We need Your grace and peace to overflow in us.. Lord, teach us to pray!   To the glory and praise of Your holy Name. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment