Monday, August 14, 2023

 Jeremiah 1:  Jeremiah was called by God while he was a young man and served the Lord faithfully throughout his life.. through the last 5 kings of Judah until the exile and beyond.  It was not an easy life.  He was rejected, abused, thrown in a pit, despised and often depressed.   But, his message is God's Word, inspired by God's Spirit for the people of Judah.. and for us.  

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations."  God's calling of Jeremiah came before he was ready.. he felt as if he were too young... unable to speak properly.. inadequate.  But, the Lord told him, "Do not say I am a youth, because everywhere I send you, you shall go. And all I command you, you shall speak."  What Jeremiah was unsure of.. God had no doubt!  He KNOWS!

The Lord put His words in Jeremiah's mouth.  He promised him deliverance even as He revealed that the people will fight against him. 

God was about to bring judgement on Judah for their wickedness.  Jeremiah would sound the warnings.  The Lord makes it very clear that He would do what He said. That He would bring about the destruction of Jerusalem.. and that Jeremiah's ministry would be difficult .. 

So.. He tells him, " Now, gird up your loins, and arise, and speak to them what I command you. Do not be dismayed before them, lest I dismay you before them."

This passage reminds me.. that God knows each of us.. before we were born.. and long after we are gone from this world.  He already knows our tomorrows just as well as He knows our past.  That is an amazing thought.. as David wrote in Psalm 139:16-17 " Thine eyes have seen my unformed substance; and in Thy book they were all written, the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them. How precious also are Thy thoughts to me, O God! How vast the sum of them!"

God knows His plan for each of us.. His calling is intentional and personal for every individual. He sees us and knows us.  

We each have to make the same kind of decision that Jeremiah did.. will we obey God's commands and do what He has prepared for us to do?  Or will we be dismayed.. because we have not?  We will all stand before Him one day to give account to Him for our actions.. will we be guilty of not speaking what He has told us to speak? Of not going where He said to go? Or will we "pull up our boot straps"; get up; and go do what God tells us to do?

Father in heaven,  You know me.  You have called me.. invited me to follow Jesus.. to believe and trust Him as my Savior and Lord.  You have made know Your word to me and given me a love for it and for You.  Help me, my Lord, to be faithful and steadfast.  Help us, Your people. to be people of the Word and faithful to do it. Thank You for the grace poured out through Jesus Christ that we might be saved and sanctified and set apart for You.. thank You for the calling on our lives to be all that You have provided for us to be.. sons and daughters of the Most High God... servants of the King of Heaven!  Be glorified and exalted Mighty God.. for there is none like You. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment