Thursday, February 24, 2022

 Psalm 51  This is David's prayer of repentance.  Nathan confronted King David for his sin regarding Bathsheba and Uriah.  David could no longer ignore the weight of his sin and guilt.  This psalm is such an honest and humble declaration of David's biggest failure... Something that most people are not brave enough to do.. something that I am not brave enough to do... 

"Be gracious to me, O God, according to Thy lovingkindness; according to the greatness of Thy compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin." ( v1-2) 

David appeals to the God he knows.. the God who has unending grace and mercy. The God who has the power to do something about his past.. the God, who alone, can cleanse and wash away the stain of sin. 

"For I know my transgressions.. Against Thee, Thee only, I have sinned." ( v3-4)  Yes, David sinned against Bathsheba and Uriah.. but he recognized and acknowledged that his greatest sin was really against God. We don't get that.. adultery and murder are pretty big sins after all!  But, sin.. the offense against the Holy One.. sin that removed God from the place He belonged..  in His child's heart.  Sin.. with a capital S.. the sin nature that David.. (and us all )...  inherited from Adam..  which we all are conceived and brought forth into this world with.. took over David's life and brought forth adultery and murder.. 

"Behold, Thou dost desire truth in the innermost being.. "  David prays.  It is this truth that breaks our spirits and collapses our hearts.. this is what it means to truly repent.  This honesty before God will bring a person to know deep sorrow for his sin.  It will prompt him to confess openly what he has done and turn away from it willingly.  It will lead to finding forgiveness from the only One who can offer it. It will bring him to a restored relationship and true joy in Him. 

"Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. "(v10) David prayed.  God alone can change our hearts and restore our souls.  And for this reason we can say with David, "O Lord, open my lips that my mouth may declare Thy praise." (v15)

Father in heaven, You see our hearts and know every secret and every fear.. You know when there are evil things that need to be confessed before You and cleansed by Your power and grace. Thank You for washing my heart that I can be "whiter than snow".  I praise You, Lord, for You are my Redeemer and You have restored my soul.  You have made me clean and pure and new. Thank You for such grace and lovingkindness.. Thank You for the joy of Your salvation.  Thank You for Christ Jesus, who has forever brought me into Your Presence and made me Your own.  Keep me in Your ways, Lord.  Let the Spirit of God fill me and complete in me Your perfect will.  Help me to walk according to Your Spirit this day, I ask in Jesus' name.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment