Monday, February 7, 2022

 Psalm 39  This psalm is almost depressing.. we hear David's plea for God's nearness.. "Hear my prayer, O Lord, and give ear to my cry; do not be silent at my tears; for I am a stranger with Thee, a sojourner like all my fathers." 

I imagine that most of us have had  experiences like that.. times in our lives where we wonder where God has gone...  We may even have the kind of thoughts that David expresses here.. "Lord, make me to know my end, and what is the extent of my days, Let me know how transient I am. Behold, Thou hast made my days as handbreadths, and my lifetime as nothing in Thy sight, surely every man at his best is a mere breath." 

Life is short. The older we get the more we realize it. But, David is asking more than that he could live longer.... he wants to be aware of the shortness of life so that he can make the most of the days that the Lord gives him.  He doesn't want to walk "about like a phantom" or "make an uproar for nothing." He doesn't want just to gain wealth.. he wants to live a life that matters.. "And now, Lord, for what do I wait? My hope is in Thee."

David has determined to keep his mouth muzzled.. to not speak foolishly.. but to wait for the Lord to speak.  He prays for deliverance from his transgressions. He prays for healing and peace. He humbles himself before the Lord to wait on Him to accomplish what He desires.  And this is the posture that we each must take.. whether we are young or old.. whether we are feeling up or down.. whether we know His nearness to us or feel like a stranger before Him. 

Father in heaven, we need You every hour. Thank You for making us aware that our lives are short.. mere breaths.. and that we only have "today" to live for You.  May we not waste it on the things that do not last.. but as Your Word tells us, may we keep our eyes on the things that are "unseen".. on that which is eternal. ( II Cor. 4:18) Father, have Your own way.. in my life today. I ask this in the name of Jesus, my Lord. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment