Tuesday, October 12, 2021

 I John 2 "My little children, I am writing these things to you that you may not sin... "  We don't want sin  in our lives.. yet, as John wrote in chapter 1.. "If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves, and the truth is not in us."  We have not lost the influence of our sin nature. We have not lost the influence of a corrupt world. We have not become exempt from temptation. 

But, we do have "an Advocate".  Christ Jesus paid the penalty for our sins.. for all sin.  When we come into relationship with Him and have fellowship with Him, we can trust Him to help us with our sin problem.  He is righteous and His righteousness is granted to us.. what amazing grace!

John says that the evidence that we have come to know Jesus is that "we keep His commandments".  Keeping the commandments.. makes us think back to the Jewish Law.. and we know that this is impossible!  So what is it that John is saying? 

John wrote about this before in his gospel account.. .. Jesus, in the upper room.. before His crucifixion said the same thing.. 

"If you love Me, you will keep My commandments." (14:15)

"He who has My commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves Me; and he who loves Me shall be loved by My Father and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him." (14:21)

"If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him, and make Our abode with him." (14:23)

"If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love." (15:10)

"This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you." (15:12)

This is so vital that John repeats this again in I John 5:2-3 "By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and observe His commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome." And again in 2 John verses 5-6 " And now I ask you, lady, not as writing you a new commandment, but the one which we have had from the beginning, that we love one another. And this is love that we walk according to His commandments... "

When Jesus was asked which commandment in the Law was greatest, he answered, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all you mind. This is the great and foremost commandment. the second is like it, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets." ( Matthew 22:37-40) 

If we love God our Father and the Lord Jesus, our Savior.. if we abide in Them and partake in that holy fellowship.. the result will be love.  Love that is evident. Our love for our God. Our love for others.  Our love that is like that of Jesus.  That love that is light, shining.. not hidden in the darkness. 

And it is there.. that I stop and confess.. "Lord, I fall short.. I don't love as You do. My love fails. My love is not patient. My love is not at all like Yours. Be my Advocate, Jesus, and forgive me, change me, and help me to truly love.. that I might keep Your Word. Abide in me.. fill me. lead me. I surrender all to  You. "

"And may the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God and into the steadfastness of Christ." II Thessalonians 3:5 Paul prayed.  It is our faithful God who works in us to will and to do what He has commanded!  Hallelujah and Amen! May this be our prayer for ourselves and for each other. 

Father, all glory and honor to Your holy Name. May Your will be done in us today, so that we might truly love You and each other.  We ask this in Jesus' name. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment