Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Luke 4
 Jesus goes 3 places:
The wilderness - for 40 days, being tempted by satan.
Nazareth - teaching in the synagogues, announcing the fulfillment of Isaiah's prophecy.
Capernaum,  teaching and healing and casting out demons.

Verses 1-13 present an important event as Jesus faces Satan.  I have heard this before and again this past weekend, how this is compared to the temptation of Adam and Eve in the garden.

1. The temptation to make bread out of stones - Eve "saw that the tree was good for food"

2. The temptation to gain the kingdoms of the world by worshipping satan - Eve delighted in the beauty of the fruit and she wanted it.

3. The temptation to test God by jumping off the temple and making the angels catch Him - Eve desired to gain wisdom to be like God.

John calls these, " .. the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life."  
( I John 2:15)  These are "all that is in the world".  These are signs of loving the world and not the Father.  These are "from the world"  which is "passing away" .
" But the one who does the will of God abides forever". 

Lust - [epithumia] - a longing for what is forbidden; to set the heart upon, to covet; desire; long for;
Flesh- body; carnal; external; physical;

The lust of the flesh is the uncensored, natural ( unsaved) man's desires for whatever his body craves.
The forbidden fruit was what Eve craved.  
Jesus was hungry, but He craved only what the Father would provide.  He did not crave bread to feed His flesh, but the Word of God, which came from His Father.
Paul wrote, " But put on the Lord Jesus Christ and make no provision for the flesh in regard to its lusts." ( Romans 13:14)  In this context , Paul is speaking of the lusts of "carousing and drunkenness...sexual promiscuity and sensuality... strife and jealousy." ( v13)

The lust of the eyes - Proverbs 27:20 says "Sheol and Abandon are never satisfied, nor are the eyes of man ever satisfied." Ecclesiastes 4:8 "... Indeed, his eyes were not satisfied with riches..." and Ecclesiastes 1:8 " All things are wearisome; man is not able to tell it. The eye is not satisfied with seeing.."
 Eve was not satisfied with all the other fruit from all the other trees in the garden - she wanted the beautiful fruit from the forbidden tree.
Jesus may have desired all the kingdoms of this world, for they belong to Him rightfully.. but He would not ever worship satan to gain them.. Jesus would worship only the Lord and serve Him only.  He was satisfied with the will of His Father and desired nothing else.

The pride of life - boasting -self-confidence, as opposed to confidence in God;  James 4:15-16 "Instead, you ought to say,' If the Lord wills, we shall live and also do this or that.' But as it is, you boast in your arrogance; all such boasting is evil." 
Eve ate the fruit so that she could have "wisdom".  She desired to be independent of God instead of under submission to His will and authority.
Jesus willingly submitted to the Father's will and would not test Him, would not try to prove Him in any way.

Luke 4:13 " And when the devil had finished every temptation, he departed..." 

These 3 categories are important for us to go back to and prayerfully ask the Lord to search us... "Search me, O God and know my heart; try me and know my anxious thoughts; and see if there be any hurtful way in me, and lead me in the everlasting way." ( Psalm 139:23-24)

Father in heaven,  Your will be done...
I put on Jesus Christ and make no provision for my flesh and its lusts.  May my every desire be for You, to seek You first and Your kingdom and Your righteousness.. as You provide all that I need according to Your will and plan for me.  May I be ever satisfied with and thankful for Your provision for me. May I learn to be like Paul who "learned to be content in whatever circumstances" he was in, relying fully on You who gives strength to me as needed, by Your unending grace.  Father,  I humble myself before You, submitting to Your will.  I will trust You will all my heart.. putting my confidence in You and not in myself.  I will acknowledge You in all my ways, knowing that You are with me every step of the way and that You will make my path straight and right.  I will not be wise in my own eyes, but fear You and turn away from evil. ( Proverbs 3:5-7)  Jesus, I ask these things in Your Name as You have instructed me.  Thank You.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment