Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Zechariah 12-14  Another oracle is given to Zechariah.  This one contains prophecy about the "day" when everything changes. He tells about the return of Christ and the judgements against those who refuse to worship Him.  There are statements that we know were fulfilled at Christ's first coming and those that will not happen until He returns again.  He tells about Jerusalem and living waters and unending light.  He tells of the day when everyone and everything will be Holy to the Lord.

Even so, come Lord Jesus!

The books of Haggai, Zechariah, and Malichi were written after the return of the Jews to Jerusalem. Most of the other books of prophecy were written prior to the exile with several written during the time in Babylon.  Zechariah's oracles looked forward to the coming of the Messiah. He was instrumental in encouraging the rebuilding of the temple in Jerusalem. But, his heart was focused on a time when the King would come and reign forever.

......

I awoke this morning with thoughts about what it really means when we talk about our "heart".  It has prompted me to take a look at that word as it is used in Scripture.  I will be taking a little side-step from my usual study through the Old and New Testaments to  write about this....

The first time the word "heart" is used ( according to my concordance) is Genesis 6:5 where God sees the heart of men and proclaims that "every intent of the thoughts of his heart" are continually evil.
The intent - the conceptions, the imaginations, and the determinations; of the thoughts - the plans, purposes; of the heart.  In 6:21 God declares that the inclination of mens hearts are evil from youth.

Because men have evil hearts, we are told, God's heart was grieved. ( Gen. 6:6)

Abraham spoke to himself, to his own heart, about the likelihood of Sarah having a child.
Abimelech spoke to God in a dream about the integrity of his heart.
The servant sent to find a wife for Isaac prayed in his heart and was immediately answered.
Esau determined in his heart to kill his brother, Jacob.
Joseph's brothers trembled in their hearts when they found their money in their bags.
And Jacob's heart was stunned when he learned that Joseph was still alive.

Genesis teaches us that our heart is the place of our thoughts and intentions; it is where we determine our plans -for good or for evil, but where evil seems to have free reign.  It is my heart that doubt and fear can grow. It is where I decide to hate or to love.  But, it is also where my prayers are lifted up to God. My heart is where God's amazing grace will stun me and I will praise Him.

Father in heaven,  teach me Your ways.  Let my heart not be troubled.  Let me not grow weary.  But strengthen me in Christ, the Lord of my heart.  I ask this in His name. amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment