Tuesday, February 17, 2015

John 17  Jesus prays for His disciples.  Since we are included in this prayer ( v20) it is so important that we know this prayer intimately and personally.  What exactly did He pray for?   Notice that all the way through this prayer, Jesus follows His request or statement with a "that" statement....

Father,  "glorify Thy Son.... that the Son may glorify Thee." v1
"Thou gavest Him authority.... that ... He may give eternal life."  v2
"And this is eternal life, that they may know Thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom Thou hast sent." v3
" I glorified Thee.." - accomplishing the work, manifesting Thy Name, giving them Thy Word...v4-6 -  so that they would understand - " that I came forth from Thee, and they didst believe that Thou didst send Me. " v8

"Holy Father, keep them in Thy name, the name which Thou hast given Me, that they may be one, even as we are." v11

"Sanctify them in the truth, Thy word is truth."v 17 .... "that they themselves also may be sanctified in truth." v19

" I do not ask in behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word; that they may all be one; even as Thou, Father, are in Me, and I in Thee, that they also may be in Us; that the world may believe that Thou didst send Me." ( v20-21) 

The glory given from the Father to the Son, " I have given to them; that they may be one just as We are." v22

That -:
      " they may be perfected in unity." 
       - " the world may know "
      - " Thou didst send Me"
     - and " Thou didst love them, even as Thou didst love Me."  ( v23)

"Father, I desire that they also whom Thou hast given Me, be with Me where I am, in order that they may behold My glory... "    

" And I have made Thy name known to them, and will make it known; that the love wherewith Thou didst love Me may be in them, and I in them." 

 What a precious prayer.... Meditate on these words.
More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment