Wednesday, January 5, 2022

 More from Psalm 18: 20-25... After describing the dramatic and powerful rescue that God, the Most High, has performed for David, he says a most startling thing... "The Lord has rewarded me according to my righteousness; according to the cleanness of my hands He has recompensed me."   

We know that David was not a sinless or perfect man.  He may have not sinned with Bathsheba or had her husband killed yet.. when he wrote this psalm... but he was still not perfect... how could he think that he deserved this powerful rescue from the Most High God because he was righteous?

David says this.. " For I have kept the ways of the Lord, and have not wickedly departed from my God. For all His ordinances were before me, and I did not put away His statutes from me.  I was also blameless with Him, and I kept myself from my iniquity."   

Matthew Henry wrote "Constant care to keep from that sin, whatever that may be, which most easily besets us, proves that we are upright before God."  David kept his eyes on the Word of God.. God's rules and commands.  He took care- he "kept" the ways of God.  The Hebrew word here is shamar - to hedge about, to guard, to protect, to tend, be aware, mark, narrowly observe, preserve, reserve, wait for and watch.  David diligently and continually "kept" his heart after the heart of God.  No, he was not perfect, but he persevered.. seeking and finding, humbling himself and surrendering to the Lord and finding Him wholly True.  "Therefore the Lord has recompensed me according to my righteousness." 

Father in heaven, we are not righteous.. no not one.. but You have freely given us the righteousness of Jesus Christ our Lord. You have transformed our lives by renewing our minds, by giving us Your Spirit, by writing Your Words on our hearts.  So, like David, we call upon Your Name and You hear us. You come to our rescue. You deliver us from the enemy. You delight in us and reward us and recompense us.  You are truly an Awesome God, full of grace and mercy. Wonderful in all Your ways. Righteous and just.  "With the kind Thou dost show Thyself kind; with the blameless Thou dost show Thyself blameless; With the pure Thou dost show Thyself pure; and with the crooked Thou dost show Thyself astute"(v25-26)  Thank You. We praise You , our Rock, our Savior, and our King forever and ever. amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment