Tuesday, January 4, 2022

 Psalm 18 After praising God as his refuge, strength, and rock in the first 3 verses of this Psalm, David gives a dramatic story of what God has done for him.. 

v4-5 "The cords of death encompassed me, and the torrents of ungodliness terrified me. The cords of sheol surrounded me; The snares of death confronted me."   Like Jonah in the belly of the fish.. David was drowning and felt the nearness of death.  Life on this earth can be terrifying.. we live in a ungodly society and sometimes are confronted with death in ways that make us feel helpless... 

But, like David, we have a Refuge!  "In my distress I called upon the Lord, and cried to my God for help; He heard my voice out of His temple, and my cry for help before Him came into His ears."  O, hallelujah! We have a God who hears us when we cry out to Him.  We have a God who is able to save us, to help us, to give us strength! 

David 's description of God, coming to his rescue, is vivid and awesome... "Then the earth shook and quaked; and the foundations of the mountains were trembling and were shaken because He was angry." (v7)  Smoke.. fire.. coals.. lightning.. darkness.. brightness. thunder and hailstones.. accompany the Presence of the Lord as He "bowed the heavens also, and came down." 

"He sent from on high, He took me; He drew me out of many waters. He delivered me from my strong enemy, and from those who hated me, for they were too mighty for me.."  (v17)  "He rescued me, because He delighted in me." (v19)

What precious and powerful words!  God does not hold back what He desires to give to those who call upon Him.. He comes with great power.. because He loves us.  He is willing!  He is able!  He has not changed and He is not just David's refuge.. He is mine and He is yours!

Father in heaven, the Lord who is our Rock and our Fortress, our help in times of need and our gracious Savior who delights in us who call upon Your Name.  We give You praise. We honor You. We surrender to Your will and to Your Spirit who leads us in righteousness and truth. Open our eyes Lord, to see You as David did. May we know the greatness of Your power and the wonder of Your lovingkindness.  In the name of Jesus, the Lamb who was slain for us, we come. amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment