Thursday, September 23, 2021

 Job 15 - 17   Eliphaz speaks once again, this time with anger and insults against Job.  He sees Job as a wicked man with no wisdom and he sees God as one who doesn't even trust His angels, let alone "one who is detestable and corrupt." Unfortunately that is a point of view that still prevails in our world today. 

Job relies, "Sorry comforters are you all."  If things were on the other foot, Job says, he would be there to strengthen and help his friends, not accuse and insult them. 

Job is feeling exhausted, shriveled, torn, hunted, slapped, handed over to ruffians, shattered... God has "grasped me by the neck and shaken me to pieces; He has also set me up as His target.. " (16:12) Ever feel that way?

As I read Job's description of himself.. I think of Jesus at Calvary.. "His arrows surround me. Without mercy He splits my kidneys open; He pours my gall on the ground. He breaks through me with breach after breach; He runs at me like a warrior..."  Job suffered, yes, but our gracious Lord, Jesus Christ suffered even more.. for us. 

Job cried out, "My spirit is broken, my days are extinguished, the grave is ready for me." ( 17:1)  He was losing all hope and his friends were only making him feel worse. 

Perhaps we should exam how we handle suffering...our own pains and sorrows.. or that of our friends?  May we have the compassion of our God and the steadfastness of Jesus.  

II Thessalonians 2:16-17 is a prayer that we can pray.. "Now may our Lord Jesus Christ Himself and God our Father, who has loved us and given us eternal comfort and good hope by grace comfort and strengthen your hearts in every good work and word." Who do you know that needs to have you pray for them today? Do it now!

Father, I thank You for loving us and for giving us comfort in our struggles and sorrows.  I pray for those I know who need to feel Your love today.  Pour out Your grace upon them. Comfort them with Your Presence and peace.  Bring alongside them friends who will truly love and comfort them with words that are kind and loving. May we know Your love, be filled with Your grace and mercy, and reach out to those who are suffering today.  We pray this in the name of our loving Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment