Monday, February 3, 2014

Psalm 55  Do you relate to David's prayers?  I do.  "I am restless in my complaint and am surely distracted."   We prayed, but we feel like God has hidden Himself.   David says that he feels "the pressure of the wicked" and his "heart is in anguish".  He wishes that he could fly away and "be at rest".  The worst part for David in this situation is that the one who is oppressing him was a friend,
"my companion and my familiar friend. We who had sweet fellowship together, walked in the house of God in the throng."   Someone so close that they worshipped God together...  to be betrayed by one so close is the hardest thing to handle.   Makes me think of the kiss of Judas in the garden.   He had been a friend of Jesus.  They had eaten together and worshipped together.  But then, a betrayal of the worst kind.
David says, "His speech was smoother than butter, but his heart was war; His words were softer than oil, yet they were drawn swords."   Can you relate? Yes, we all can.  The world is full of smooth talkers....
So how does David handle this?
"As for me, I shall call upon God, and the Lord will save me.  Evening and morning and at noon, I will complain and murmur, and He will hear my voice. He will redeem my soul in peace from the battle which is against me... God will hear and answer them- Even the one who sits enthroned from of old." ( verses 16-19)

 What does the sweet Shepherd whisper to him?
" Cast your burden upon the Lord, and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken."  ( v22)

Yes, we can "murmur and complain".  I'm relieved! I have a tendency  to do that.  But the point really is what God does when we call on Him:  He saves, He hears, He redeems, and He answers.  Like David, we must learn to trust.  Trust and obey.  Trust Him in the small things and the large.  Trust Him enough to let Him hear your murmurs and complaints.  Believe that He will answer, that He will sustain you, that He who makes you righteous will "never allow" you "to be shaken".

Matthew 5: 21-48  Jesus has just made a shocking statement, " unless your righteousness surpasses that  of the scribes and Pharisees, you shall not enter the kingdom of heaven." ( v20)
A surpassing righteousness?  Those men were masters at keeping the Law, weren't they?  How can anyone do better than that?  Jesus teaches the meaning of true righteousness in contrast to the self-righteousness of the religious leaders of His time.

The Law stated "You shall not commit murder".   ( The Pharisees justified themselves by convincing others to do their murdering for them.)
"But I say to you" Jesus stated,  guilt begins with being angry with your brother, with calling him "Raca" or fool - good for nothing, foolish, empty-headed, stupid.
True righteousness includes reconciliation, friendship , restoration of relationships. 

The Law stated "You shall not commit adultery"
Jesus stated, "But I say to you..."   looking at a woman with lust in your heart IS committing adultery.
The sin is in the heart attitude, not just the outward act.
True righteousness is sacrificing your eye or your hand.. or your own lustful desires so that you might avoid even the thought of sinfulness. 

The Law allowed a man to give his wife a certificate of divorce.
But Jesus said there was so much more that needed to be dealt with there.   The only real reason for divorce that Jesus allowed was "unchastity" - adultery.  ( a heart attitude or a physical action)
True righteousness is in a pure and chaste marriage relationship. 

The Law called for men to fulfill the vows that they made.
Jesus says we shouldn't swear by anything, for we don't really have control over anything... it is all God's.  He is sovereign in all things.
True righteousness is honesty in all things.. our yes is yes and our no is no..

The Law allowed for vengeance .
Jesus taught us not to resist.  Turn the cheek, give the coat, go the extra mile, give to those who ask.
True righteousness is displayed in humility.

The Law said to love your neighbor.
Jesus said, "love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you."
True righteousness is displayed in love.

True righteousness is only found in Jesus Christ.   It is not in the keeping of the Law, but in the transformation of the heart.  Only He can do that.

Thank you Jesus for taking my sin and giving me Your righteousness.  It is only through Your power, Your resurrection power at work in my heart that gives me new life, Your life.  Have Your own way in me Lord.  Display Your true righteousness in my life by transforming me, renewing my mind and conforming me to Your will.  I surrender all to You.
amen

No comments:

Post a Comment