Friday, July 30, 2021

 I Peter 1:2-   Peter's letter is so full of deep truths.  I really feel the need to pray for insight and understanding from the Holy Spirit.. so that I can grasp what He has to say to me.. to us.. through these words.  I am still "chewing" on the verses from yesterday.. how I am.. we are.. "chosen".. according to the "foreknowledge of the Father... by the sanctifying work of the Spirit..." so that I/we  "may obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled with His blood."  

 I guess I have always thought of the gospel of salvation in this order of events: The Father sent the Son -> The Son died and rose again -> The Son sent the Holy Spirit. 

 But, this is not what Peter is saying. He says.. the Father chose me.. knowing me beforehand -> The Spirit sanctified me.. set me apart for Jesus; -> so  I can now obey Jesus and be "sprinkled with His blood." 

 This "sprinkling" is likened to what Moses did when he dedicated the temple, the Word, and the people in Exodus.. Hebrews 9:18-23 also talks about this. "And according to the Law, one may almost say, all things are cleansed with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no forgiveness."  Jesus offered Himself, once for all... "For by one offering He has perfected for all time those who are sanctified." (Hebrews 10:14)  We are sprinkled with the blood of Jesus, Hebrews 10:22 says, "having our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water." 

Father in heaven, open the eyes of our hearts that we might understand how great and wonderful You are!  You knew us, You called us, You chose us and You brought us to obedience and dedication to Jesus Christ, our glorious Savior and Lord.  Thank You, Holy Spirit, our life-giver and Comforter, who has brought us to know Jesus.. and continues the work of sanctification that we might stand before the Throne of God "without blame at the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ."  Lead us in the righteousness, keep us from temptation, and help us to daily walk in holiness, to the glory of our Savior and of our Gracious God and Father.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment