Wednesday, June 23, 2021

 II Chronicles 25 - Amaziah, the son of Joash, became king when he was 25 years old.  He reigned 29 years. " And he did right in the sight of the Lord, yet not with a whole heart." 

The Lord our God desires our whole hearts. Anything less will bring disaster. 

When Amaziah paid warriors from Israel to help in battle, he was warned that it would fail because God was not with Israel. Amaziah sent those warriors home, but in their anger they plundered some of Judah's cities. 

When Amaziah went up against Edom, he brought back their idols and would not listen to the counsel of the prophet.  This would bring about Amaziah's destruction. " I know that God has planned to destroy you because you have done this and have not listened to my counsel," the prophet told him. 

So, when  Amaziah challenged the king of Israel... he was defeated.. "But Amaziah would not listen for it was from God, that He might deliver him into the hand of Joash because they had sought the gods of Edom." 

"And from the time that Amaziah turned away from following the Lord they conspired against him in Jerusalem." 

Every day we choose.. whether we turn to the Lord or we turn away from Him.  The lesson from Amaziah is that we can not choose a partial commitment.  God commands and deserves our whole devotion.  In the letter to the church of Laodicea, Jesus said, "I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot; I would that you were cold or hot. So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth." (Rev. 3:15-16)  Like Amaziah, the church thought they were rich and didn't need anything.. but they were actually "poor and blind and naked".  They needed to see themselves as God saw them.  Amaziah needed to see himself as God saw him, too.  He just wouldn't listen. We, the church in America today, also need to see ourselves as God sees us... 

Father God, the psalmist wrote..   "the earth is Adonai's, with all that is in it, the world and those who live there;" ( Psalm 24:1).  Everything comes from You, for Your purposes. Lord, "make me know Your ways, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth, and teach me; for you are the God who saves me, my hope is in you all day long." ( Psalm 25:4-5)  By the power of the Holy Spirit, who dwells in me, may I  choose each day to give You my whole heart.. to not hold anything back. This is my desire, yet I know that I am weak.. so I ask for Your help. The church today.. in America.. is becoming lukewarm. The pressure to conform to society's obsession with prideful sin...  is as wrong as Amaziah's act to bring idols back to Jerusalem. Forgive us Lord, and restore us to purity and obedience to Your holy Word. May we, Your people, truly humble ourselves before You and seek You with whole hearts.  May Your will be done and Your kingdom come!  In Christ Jesus we come before You to ask these things. Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment