Monday, March 10, 2014

Matthew 15: 21-39
Jesus goes to Tyre and Sidon and is approached by a Canaanite woman who begs Him to heal her daughter.  At first Jesus appears to ignore her, then He appears to dismiss her, after that He appears to test her, and finally He answers her.  His statement catches my attention today, "O woman, your faith is great; be it done for you as you wish."
What was it that Jesus saw in the woman that showed her great faith? Was it her perseverance?
Was it her desperate pleas? Was it her insightful answers?
I recently heard a radio preacher talk about this passage.  His insight into verses 26- 27 was encouraging.
"And He answered and said, 'It is not good to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs.' But she said,'Yes, Lord but even the dog's feed on the crumbs which fall from their master's table.'"
The speaker said that the Lord's statement may have seemed harsh, comparing her to a dog... but the word actually speaks of a pet, a beloved member of the household, not a wild mangy animal that we might picture.  Her statement then makes more sense.  Yes, the dog is not a child, but it is a part of the family... I know people that consider their dogs to be their children!
The woman's answer gained her the Lord's favor!  She was not a Jew, she didn't pretend to be anything that she was not.  She just needed His help. She recognized the fact that Jesus was able to help her and she was determined to not give up!  This is faith, great faith, in the Lord's eyes.
The other word that kind of jumps out to me is the word -wish. "..be it done for you as you wish." Jesus tells her.  We reserve that word for blowing out birthday candles, for seeing a falling star, for thoughts of magical genies.  But we hesitate to use it in the context of prayer.  God is not a genie!
Of course not.  But Jesus uses this word.  "WISH" - the greek word is thelo - to determine, to choose, or prefer, to wish, be inclined to, to delight in, desire, intend, love, mean, please, have rather, will.
The woman wanted, wished for, pleaded for, help for her poor daughter.   This is more than a casual whimsical wish upon a star.  This is a deep, abiding, feel it in the center of your gut, kind of desire.  She was desperate for her daughter!  She wanted , no she needed, she was desperate for help that no one else could give! It was that kind of plea. That kind of a prayer.
And Jesus, the Lord and King of heaven and earth,  heard her plea and answered her deepest need. 

Is my faith like this?

 Oh Lord, make my faith  great, like this Canaanite woman's.  I know that You are willing and that You are able to do whatever we ask according to Your will.  You have promised this.  You have instructed us to ask and seek and knock.  Your Word tells us to "ask in faith without doubting." Without wavering or hesitating.  You know that we need Your help.  May we know this, admit it, humble ourselves to confess it... You know we need to recognize that You alone are able to help us.  I know that this is true.  May I persevere in prayer.  Help me to prayer effectively and earnestly, like this woman, like Elijah, like the many who have gone before me.  Teach me to pray this way, Lord!
Forgive my unbelief, my doubting, my fickleness.  I love You Lord and I need You always.
Thank You for having patience with me and for leading me deeper into Your heart.
amen

No comments:

Post a Comment