Tuesday, February 6, 2024

 Ezekiel 35-36 The land of Seir.. Edom, the dwelling place of Esau's descendants, bordered Israel on the south and east.. (modern day Jordan.)  The Lord pronounced judgement against them because they worked against Israel.. " Because you have had everlasting enmity and have delivered the sons of Israel to the power of the sword.."  They were people who were given over to bloodshed  and anger and arrogance.  (Things have not changed  much in the Middle East)... God vowed to make Edom desolate, saying that all the nations would rejoice at their fall.  And through that... they would come to know that the God of Israel is the Lord of all. 

Israel suffered for her own sinfulness.. her idolatry and wickedness.. but God would not forsake His people forever. His promise then.. and His promise now.. is restoration.. " But you, O mountains of Israel, you will put forth your branches and bear your fruit for My people Israel; for they will soon come. For behold, I am for you, and I will turn to you, and you will be cultivated and sown." ( 36:8-9)

The Lord makes it clear that Israel has not earned or deserved this restoration promise.. but that He will renew Israel for the sake of His Holy Name. " And I will vindicate the holiness of My great name which has been profaned among the nations, which you have profaned in their midst."   For His own sake, God would cleanse Israel from their "filthiness" and all their idols. 

More than that, God promised something completely new.. " Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes and you will be careful to observe My ordinances. And you will live in the land that I gave to your forefathers; so you will be My people , and I will be your God." ( v26-28)

There is a brighter day ahead for Israel.. a day when "This desolate land has become like the garden of Eden; and the waste, desolate, and ruined cities are fortified and inhabited."  The Lord will increase the house of Israel.. "like a flock".. and then "they will know that I am the Lord."

Father we know that Your plan is perfect and You are faithful to complete this work that You have begun. We look forward with hope and joy for that day when there will be a new city.. a new nation.. a new heaven and earth.  We rejoice in the promise that Christ is coming back and He will reign in perfect righteousness and justice.. and we will all know Him and every knee will bow before Him.  Even so, our hearts have been changed by Your Spirit and our tongues choose to praise His holy Name now. Help us to persevere, to stay faithful and true, pure and steadfast in the Name of Jesus, by Your might and for the honor of Your holy Name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment